how to decide Amd / Intel ?

Discussions and help regarding overclocking, motherboards, peripherals, AMD and INTEL CPU's
renovation

how to decide Amd / Intel ?

Post by renovation »

when your thinking to build a Desktop . How do you Decide if Amd or Intel is the way for you to go .
do you go by the Motherboard your looking to buy .
or is it what your looking to use your computer for .
or is
the cost of what the total computer well be.
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I always buy Intel. I had AMD once back in the day with some minor compatibility issues. I am glad that AMD is around to keep the competition going.
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

I look at cost first in most cases.. Then I'll do comparisons in my cost range and go from there. My current rig is getting pretty long in the tooth, (going on 6 years old) but it does just fine for what I need. So I currently have no plans of upgrading. But that could change in the next year or so. The only thing I've done in the recent past is upgrade from an 80GB SSD to a 120GB SSD. And that was just because I was running out of space. Unless a game comes out that will force me to upgrade, I don't see that happening any time soon. AMD has typically been the lower priced option comparably when I combine the CPU/Mobo prices..

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

If you're trying to save money, then AMD. But Intel has the better processors.

If you're thinking of building a new PC I'd start here. Even though these are gaming rigs, they are also good starting points for non-gaming desktops - you just don't need to spend the money on a video card. Even the low end system is decent:

Pc Perspectives Leaderboard:
http://www.pcper.com/hwlb
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

It all depends on what you're going to use it for. IMO if you are going to do gaming Intel is just better. I also hear that their onboard video is superior, don't know. There is a better selection of intel motherboards generally so it is easier to find something that is older and cheaper. Realistically, CPUs are so fast now it is the video and memory systems holding them back.

Tom's and a couple of other sites do regular build a $500 pc, $1000 pc, etc. Worth looking at their stuff to get ideas.
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I've always liked Intel's processors but I've built systems with AMD. AMD's processors are generally cheaper but like FP stated, Intel makes a better processor. I'm still running a 2500K OC to 4.2 GHz. It's very stable and runs in the mid 60's under a full load with a Cooler Master H212 Air cooler. I think my processor is 2 or 3 generations old now but can't see any reason to upgrade.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

I have been running a 6 core AMD. Cant tell you what it is or how old it is, but i remember it being near the lower end of the upper end of stuff at the time. I still see no point in upgrading my rig and I don't even remember when I built it.
[align=center]A self-aware artificial intelligence would suffer from a divide by zero error if it were programmed to be Amish[/align]
DaMaN

Post by DaMaN »

For non-gaming and regular everyday stuff, the AMD bundles offered at Microcenter and Fryes can't be beat.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

These days, so long as you don't get a budget processor, you'll be fine. The video card does 90% of the work in games and if you're not gaming you won't even need that much (stick with quad core though).