Decisions

Discuss Virtual Reality (and I'm not talking about that episode with the bottle of Tequila you drank last night)
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Decisions

Post by Genom »

So as a late xmas present, wife gave me a 400 dollar card to Microcenter.

I can get a GTX 1070 (have a 970 now running my 144Hz Asus monitor) or there is an open box Vive that is missing some USB cables (that I have a million of) for 520 bucks.

What to do?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Decisions

Post by FlyingPenguin »

970 is the minimum recommended for the Vive, and we all know minimum hardware sucks, so you might want to upgrade that vid card first.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I'd say the vid card first as well. From what I'm reading, both developers for both headsets are now playing with software that defaults an app to 45 fps if there are too many frames over the 11 ms time, which leads to stuttering and barfing. I'm thinking that some apps will come with a high/low fps setting.

I'm running a 1080, and I can't say that I have noticed any stutter or lag or whatever.

It isn't clear which way things might evolved. I am finding so far that the 1080 really doesn't cut if for web surfing, etc, on the bigscreen type desktop programs, but I don't have the best eyes. I can't see kicking the res any higher with the existing processing algos. There are some rumors floating that the next-gen Rift is almost ready. I suspect it may include wireless headset options.

Also, take a look at the testing that HardOCP has done with different video cards in VR - most comprehensive that I've seen http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/vr/
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Yeah, was pouring over the list of games and there just isnt anything that makes me say "I HAVE to play this". They are getting close, but no cigar yet. I see a lot of stuff that I would probably putter with for 5-10 minutes, but nothing I will spend hours and hours playing.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

Both amd and nv are starting to support sli rigs in VR, seen some decent results for 480/8mb x2 but that raises the whole sli problem. I have a 970 as my spare, so if the ever start coding games with the dx12 mix/match video cards, I can toss that in.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Bought the 1070. And guess what?

Fucking massive thing doesnt fit in my case. BLARGH!

Cut out part of the drive cage, but still wont clear on the bottom. So have to go back and get a new case now.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

And then the new case won't work with the motherboard so I'll get a new one, and the old processor and memory won't work with the motherboard so I'll get new ones..... ;)

Bummer. Yeah, 1070 & 1080 are rather long, although there is some variety in length between different models and manufacturers.

Gigabyte even makes a REAL short one for ITX mobos (although it's also a bit taller):
http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/4 ... -overclock

My 1080 is actually shorter than my old 980, but it uses the reference design with a single fan instead of a monster heatsink and multiple big fans.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Well, the MB and all are relatively new so should be good. Got http://www.corsair.com/en-us/carbide-se ... -cube-case for $110 so I am happy.

Now to shut it all down and move this sumbitch over!
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

very nice. Ever since the first case I got with top fans, I've always stayed with them.