The airplane is preparing to land. Please remove your virtual reality headset

Discuss Virtual Reality (and I'm not talking about that episode with the bottle of Tequila you drank last night)
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

The airplane is preparing to land. Please remove your virtual reality headset

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Never even thought of this, but what better use for VR than in-flight entertainment?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/inn ... y-headset/

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

wvjohn

Re: The airplane is preparing to land. Please remove your virtual reality headset

Post by wvjohn »

We will be activating the nose cam 5 mins before landing. The barf bag is in the pouch in front of you.
psypher
Golden Member

Re: The airplane is preparing to land. Please remove your virtual reality headset

Post by psypher »

wvjohn wrote:We will be activating the nose cam 5 mins before landing. The barf bag is in the pouch in front of you.
That would be really cool if the plane had exterior cameras on all sides.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

There will likely never be external cameras on commercial aircraft because of a terrible crash back in the 70s. An airline introduced a nose camera that passengers could watch on a big TV also used for movies. The pilots would turn the camera on for takeoff and landings. They made quite a big deal about introducing that feature. Sadly one plane went into a death spiral on final approach and crashed killing everyone.

Once the word got out that those passengers likely spent the last several minutes of their lives in terror watching their imminent crash on the TV, which likely contributed to larger payouts for lawsuits based on emotional distress, there was a unanimous decision among airline companies to never do that again.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Well then they better get rid of windows too!