Couldnt help myself

Discuss Virtual Reality (and I'm not talking about that episode with the bottle of Tequila you drank last night)
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Couldnt help myself

Post by Genom »

Bought myself a Vive as a birthday present. What the hell, I have 15 days to return it if I dont like it. Doing the setup now.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Re: Couldnt help myself

Post by Genom »

So far, kinda meh.

Setup took some time mounting the lighboxes for proper coverage. Tracking is fantastic. No problem with that. Controllers are pretty comfy and easy to use. Headset is kind of awkward. Have to use my long distance glasses. The focus zone with my progressive glasses is terrible mixed with the headsets limited viewing angles. If I look down or to the sides without moving my head, it's a blurry mess. So single vision glasses only apply here. Screendoor effect is so noticeable. So far I've only been trying mostly free experiecneses sorta thing. I did buy theBlu demo, and while it initially looks great, there is a low light scenario that when it's tons of little bio luminescent fish in the distance, they look like blocky garbage.

Virtual desktops are mostly useless because of the screendoor as well. Although being able to watch 3D SBS movie files is nice.

Headset also doesnt like it when you bend down and look down. I've tried adjusting it a few different ways, but bending/looking down it always lifts off my lower face. Lightbleed from the fresnel lenses is also kind of annoying whenever there is a high contrast scene/area.

If there was some sort of killer content/game out, I would ignore the shortcomings, but so far I havent found anything that yells out to me "YEAH! this is so worth the 800 bucks!" Likely be returning it next weekend