TOR Browser

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

TOR Browser

Postby Executioner » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:06 pm

Anyone here use the TOR browser? I've hard about it but never installed it.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: TOR Browser

Postby FlyingPenguin » Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:59 pm

Unless you're worried about a government spying on you (journalists in countries with dictatorships for instance), the average person doesn't need Tor. Tor sacrifices performance for "some" privacy but it's not perfect. You need to use a minimum of 3 nodes. More is better but each node adds latency.

However, as has been pointed out by security experts, ANYONE can setup a Tor node, and you can bet your ass government security agencies - both friendly and not - have Tor nodes of their own. If they own your entry node, they know your IP.

A better tradeoff for private browsing would be a VPN run by a company you can TRUST with a known reputation of not keeping logs, and being pro-active about their user's privacy.

I use ProXPN when I want to do private browsing. Picked up a lifetime license one time when they were on sale.
"I miss having 'differences of opinion'. All this 'differences of reality perception' kinda sucks." - Scott Johnson

Return to “OS / Software Forum”