Trying out Start10 - Classic Shell replacement

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Trying out Start10 - Classic Shell replacement

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Classic Shell still works fine for me, but it's inevitable that some upgrade of Win10 will break it eventually, now that it's no longer being supported. The author complained that he had to make changes to it for every Win10 release.

So looking down the road, I'm looking for a good replacement. A lot of people say StarDock's Start10 works very well, although it's a paid product (at least that means it should continue to be supported) and it's only $5 which is pretty reasonable:

https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/download

You can try it for 30 days for free, so I put it on my laptop.

NOTE: You need to disable tracking protection for their website in Firefox, or it won't download the file.

So far it seems to work fine, but I'll let you know.I was going to put it on my workstation, but it doesn't support Win 8.1 - only Win10, and Classic Shell works fine with Win8.1. NOTE: There IS a Start8 product, which IS for Win8.1, but it's a different app. If you're interested:
https://www.stardock.com/products/start8/download

Like Classic Shell, it does allow you to right-click on any shortcut and add it to the Start10 menu, an absolute must for me, although it doesn't keep Classic Shell's start list.

A minor grumble is it doesn't come with a start button that looks like the stock Win10 button, and I really don't like any of the buttons it comes with, but you can download lots of user contributed buttons from Stardock's site, and one of them is nearly a dead ringer:
https://www.wincustomize.com/explore/start_buttons/415/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Trying out Start10 - Classic Shell replacement

Post by Executioner »

Yeah I purchased a copy a while back. Not bad for only $5. Haven't used it yet though.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

bookmarked, thx. I use the other one but you never know.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

I've been using it on all my computers for years now. I've only recently stopped using it on Windows 10 and just got used to their menu. Between pinning to the task bar and the tiles on the popup menu, I access my every day apps. But for those that still want the classic menus, I've never had any issues with Stardock's menu replacement.