Microsoft's Windows Security (formerly Windows Defender) is now on a par with paid solutions such as McAfee and Norton

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Microsoft's Windows Security (formerly Windows Defender) is now on a par with paid solutions such as McAfee and Norton

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Honestly, the big AV companies are putting so much bloat in their code, they often put you at MORE risk.

It's all I use, but I also log on as a limited user for added protection.

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3434097 ... tware.html
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Re: Microsoft's Windows Security (formerly Windows Defender) is now on a par with paid solutions such as McAfee and Nort

Post by Err »

I still use Esset NOD32 (AV only). I know what all of the data says and yet I want a third party. One day I'll stop paying.

I would advise putting McAfee on anything. It works but it's near impossible to remove all the dregs it leaves behind.
Executioner
Life Member

Re: Microsoft's Windows Security (formerly Windows Defender) is now on a par with paid solutions such as McAfee and Nort

Post by Executioner »

I also use ESET Security and Malwarebytes Premium. Just want to be sure I have decent protection.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Been using Microsoft for years without a single virus. Obviously, I use wisdom with my internet usage. I do think that the newer iterations are a bit excessively aggressive. Marking something safe barely dissuades it from further action. And something of further surprise is that it's aggressive against files on shared folders on the network.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I stopped using 3rd party and use the Windows' stuff. I do have Malwarebytes Pro which I manually run once a week. I just use common sense online.