Defrag taking a long time...

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

Defrag taking a long time...

Post by Executioner »

On my win7 "hub" pc. I started it yesterday about 4:00pm and this morning, it's still running at pass 2 30% consolidating. I have 4,119,543 files on this 4TB drive with about 700 gb space left. I used the following to determine the number of files: dir \ /s/a/w
Took less than 5 minutes to run giving me the total at the bottom.

I know some of you guys have either bigger drives or more of them, so do you run into this same problem? I have it setup to run every Friday night, but for some reason, it looks like it was not run for a month or so. Is that because I have Apex DC running in the background?

INFO:
The "/s" switch enables a recursive search on all sub-directories, the "/a" switch counts all files regardless of Attributes, and the "/w" displays multiple entries on a single line so that the report will finish a little bit faster.
psypher
Golden Member

Re: Defrag taking a long time...

Post by psypher »

Sorry, you lost me at win7.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Shouldn't take that long, unless it's hanging on some bad sectors.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

psypher wrote:Sorry, you lost me at win7.
Why? Is it because I'm still using Windows 7?

The drive does not have any bad sectors. It's an old motherboard going on 10 years with only 2 cores.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Finally finished taking 27 hours to complete. I also forgot to mention that the drive is also slow at 5400rpm. I noticed when I restarted Apex DC, it went a lot faster than before.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Still shouldn't have taken that long.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

LOL - I discovered the issue. I forgot that I had downloaded the freedb database and wanted to see what was inside, so it was extracted to that drive - all 3.9 million little files. Took forever to delete the folder using explorer. Probably should have used a dos prompt. Anyway, that seemed to have fixed the issue.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

psypher wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:14 am Sorry, you lost me at win7.
HARSH! LOL

I still have one VM that is running W7 because some of the apps I use don't seem to like W10 so until that's resolved and I test it, I'll stick with Win7.
------------------------------------------

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Well, I could probably move to 10, but I have Eset Internet Security and Malwarebytes Pro running. It's an old motherboard - +12 years and only a dual core. When it dies, then I'll move to something better.