Networking question

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
JD

Networking question

Post by JD »

Would it be possible to connect my linux machine to the internet using a proxy server that is set up on a windows NT based machine? I'm only asking becuase my router has died on me and I need to connect both machines to the net. I was looking at Analog X's Proxy to use as a proxy server. would this work?
hammer01

Post by hammer01 »

Sure is that is how my linux box is going through a win2000 w/ ICS and zone alarm.
<a href="mailto:surelock3864@gmail.com">Drop Me a Line</a></br><a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php4?id=32" target="_blank"></a></br>Heatware Refs</br>
<p>
JD

Post by JD »

ICS? And, yes, I need a firewall program too because the router had a built in one. Is zone alarm any good? I have read the reviews on it and it did'nt seem too spectacular.
DocSilly

Post by DocSilly »

Zone Alarm is pretty good for a freeware firewall and very newbie friendly. ICS is a lil tricky with ZA, you have to set the INTERNET SECURITY to medium (at least for ICS between windoze machines), ZA Pro offers ICS support built-in but also isn't free.

ZA is good for the average Joe but you need ZA Pro (or other firewall) when you have to set/block specific ports on your machine.

Why not setting up your Linux box as internet gateway and running a firewall on it ? Might be an interesting project :D
JD

Post by JD »

I would rather setup my windows machine as the gateway because i don't know of any good proxy server programs for linux. I'll look for one.And, windows won't mount my linux formatted hard drive anyway, so it might not even be possible to use that as a proxy server. I gues i need to do some more research.
Busby
Golden Member

Post by Busby »

Uhhhhh Linux has built-in proxy type stuff and also built-in firewalls. Called IP Chains for firewall and can't remember the proxy, i think it's NAT based stuff.
JD

Post by JD »

I'm sure there are a dozen proxy programs for it, but I am not sure if windows will even be able to utilize it.
hammer01

Post by hammer01 »

Sure will just set up 2 nics and IP masquerading works dandy as well as squid give em both a try.
<a href="mailto:surelock3864@gmail.com">Drop Me a Line</a></br><a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php4?id=32" target="_blank"></a></br>Heatware Refs</br>
<p>
JD

Post by JD »

OK Thanks, I wil have to try it.