OMG im so freaking screwed

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The failed SP2 install was your primary problem. Installing WinXP a second time probably aggravated things.

As I said before, though, I've had several of these and I've salvaged all but one. That one was a lost cause.

I think you've reasonably taken it as far as you can go. You should be able to pop that drive in another XP system and salvage your data, but you're going to have to do a clean install.

Sorry :(
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

pseizure2000
Genuine Member

Post by pseizure2000 »

Well I have managed to get it to the login screen, if not for the activation problem. Perhaps there is a way to fool the activation to believe it hasn't run out yet? Or perhaps a windows xp disk with SP2 already on it(if there is such) would work?

Maybe if I bring Anandtech's ppl into the fold someone will know something.
Didn't you know?
-Know what?
Starbucks has taken over the world.
-WHAT!?
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Originally posted by pseizure2000
Well I have managed to get it to the login screen, if not for the activation problem. Perhaps there is a way to fool the activation to believe it hasn't run out yet? Or perhaps a windows xp disk with SP2 already on it(if there is such) would work?

Maybe if I bring Anandtech's ppl into the fold someone will know something.

No Offense meant here, but FP knows his shat.. If he says it's over, I'm afraid it's over. :( Try what he said and put the drive in another computer?
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Not sure I understand. You can get to the login now? What did you do?

It still says activation has expired, and you can't go to the activation window even after a repair install? I'd say you have serious registry damage.

Yes there is an XP CD with SP2 already slipstreamed on it, but not sure that would help you if a repair install didn't work.

You can try going into BIOS and setting the date back to before the activation expired and that MIGHT let you in. Once in you can try forcing a manual activation (Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Activate Windows)

If that doesn't work try this to delete your CD key, re-enter it and re-activate:

1. Run regedit and go to:
HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents,
on the right double click on "oobetimer" and change at least one digit of
this value to deactivate windows.

2. Choose run from start menu and type in this command:
%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a to get the activation screen and go
to the second option which is activate by phone.

3. In the new screen choose the option to change product key, and type in
the new product key (your Corporate one only).

3a. If it brings you back to the prior screen after entering the new key
click remind me later and then reboot.

4. Close that window, reboot your system and enter the command in step 2 for
the second time to verify your activation , you should see "windows is
already activated".

Hope this helps...
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

pseizure2000
Genuine Member

Post by pseizure2000 »

No i think you misunderstand, I was able to run an actual "System Restore" from the old restore points from a special recovery boot software. This in turn allowed me to boot to the login screen. Here is where it gets iffy. The actual microsoft activation program (that window that pops up with the keys that allows you to enter all the activation code and shatt) is nonfunctional. The activation grace period (3 days for hardware change) is finished and windows wants to force me to activate it to log in. There in lies the conundrum. With the activation crap nonfunctional i can't login.

Several things to consider are:

Can I possibly go back before the timer ran out?

If elements of the failed SP2 install are causing it to fail then would a SP2-disk repair install fix the conflicts?

Is there a way to disable the activation crap manually, perhaps simply removing the block?
Didn't you know?
-Know what?
Starbucks has taken over the world.
-WHAT!?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You can try setting the clock in BIOS to a couple of days before the activation grace period expired. If you're lucky it may let you in.

I really don't think doing a reapir with a slipstreamed SP2 CD will help if it failed to repair properly with an earlier version of XP but you can try. I don't think it's the remaining SP2 elements causing the problem.

Have you got an XP Pro Corporate CD lying around? You can try doing an upgrade. A repair install might even work, but I'd try doing an upgrade first (you'll need to boot from the CD). That's going to replace all your core files and may fix your problem.

I don't hold out great hope, but it's what I'd try as a last resort.

dragontatt
Goober Member

Post by dragontatt »

im a newbie and i was reading all the posts..now i know this may seem simple but have you tried to reset your bios by removing the battery or moving the jumper over..that should reset all your passwords including the one SP2 may have put in..also it will reset the time...so that may help as far as the COA problem..

ok i know you had said the COA set up that pops up isnt working right,but can you go through..Start all programs Accessories and then system tools ...because if you havnt activated the windows there is a link in system tools...

i realize im new and all what i said may seem obvious but i didnt see in any of the responses about any of this...
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Originally posted by dragontatt
that should reset all your passwords including the one SP2 may have put in..
Welcome to PCA! :)

But.....

No, resetting the bios will not reset the passwords impletmented by Windows XP or SP2, only those implemented in the BIOS.
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
dragontatt
Goober Member

Post by dragontatt »

thanx for the info ...i have been lucky so far with SP2 ..so my tricks are out dated ..