Reinstall WIN XP on SATA Drive

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Sennaha
Genuine Member

Reinstall WIN XP on SATA Drive

Post by Sennaha »

I am going to break down and do a fresh install on Win XP. I have the BIOS set to boot off of CD. Windows starts the installation process, then says it can't find a hard drive. In the BIOS it recognizes the all Hard Drives. The Hard drive is a SATA Western Dig. 74GB Raptor. I'm sure it is something simple. This is my first machine using a SATA drive. I did look for a driver on the WD site for the drive, but just saw some tools etc. I think I have to hit the F6 button and load something, but I want to be sure. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks
123cool
Golden Member

Post by 123cool »

on your driver disk for the motherboard there should be a option to create a floppy, this floppy contains the driver for sata, press f6 on installation and insert the floppy install the driver and things should be good to go.
Athlon 4400 X2, @ 2.5Ghz, 1.375v validation
Corsair 3200C2 2.5-3-3-6 @ 1T Twinx 2GB,
Nvidia 7800GTX 256MB XFX @ 467/1.28,
A8N Sli Premium ASUS,
250GB Maxtor Maxline 3,
Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS.

3DMark05 = 8434

eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Originally posted by 123cool
on your driver disk for the motherboard there should be a option to create a floppy, this floppy contains the driver for sata, press f6 on installation and insert the floppy install the driver and things should be good to go.

He said it.. You need to load the SATA drivers for your mobo's raid controller in order to use the SATA drive on the install.

GL!

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
Sennaha
Genuine Member

Post by Sennaha »

I just did that, thanks. Unfortunately it did the same thing. I am going to make the disk again.
canton_kid
Golden Member

Post by canton_kid »

driver disk for the motherboard there should be a option to create a floppy, this floppy contains the driver for sata,

Not that long ago, maybe a year, we were discussing how useless floppies are and many people not having floppy drives any longer. I have 4 computers but only 1 floppy drive in the house. I think it still works :rolleyes:

So to use newer system boards are we going to have to start installing floppies again or is there another option like burn to CD?

I have not checked floppy prices latelly but I would geuss it's as cheap to waste a CD for 1 meg as it is to buy a floppy disk, maybe less.
Canton_kid

spam bot food!
<A HREF="http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/antispam.html">Anti-Spam</A>
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You can buy a USB Floppy Drive and just use it as needed. All modern mobos support a USB floppy in BIOS.

Most modern mobos also don't require seperate SATA drivers. More and more of them are using the generic SATA driver that comes with WinXP SP2, then you install the mobo manufacturer's driver once Windows is up and running.

Finally, you can also slip-stream the drivers onto a WinXP install CD.

Windows Vista supports loading SATA drivers from the CD, hard drive, USB or other device from a clean install.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.