Booting to wrong user account

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
joeyll
Genuine Member

Booting to wrong user account

Post by joeyll »

Hello everyone,

Somehow I've got 2 administrator accounts in XP now. I have access to both but my computer keeps booting up to the one I don't use. I cant' figure out how to delete the one I don't use or just simply to make it stop booting to the one I don't use. Any help is greatly appreciated..

Joey
Justlookin

Post by Justlookin »

You could password the one you don't use and then you will have to select the user account you want to log-in to. Or go to control panel and delete the unwanted account. I like to have 2 admin accounts for emergencies. If my main account gets messed up and I get locked out for what ever reason, I have the option to use the other account to get in to see what might be causing the problem. I had a trojan or virus one time that changed my password and the only way I could fix it was to use the other admin account to go in and reset my password.
[LEFT]ImageImage[/LEFT]
[LEFT]Ed H alias: PH to my friends and maybe a few enemies too. :beer[/LEFT]

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting-
"Damn, what a ride".
eGoCeNTRoNiX

Post by eGoCeNTRoNiX »

Probably best to boot into safe mode and then RENAME the one you don't want to use then delete it after switching to the one you do want to use..

eGo
PM before Email People!!
Heat Under eGoCeNTRoNiX :)
Who Farted? BEANIE!!!
!Welcome to the United States of the Offended!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Windows XP will never boot into the REAL admininstrator account unless it's the only user account. It won't even show as a user in the Welcome page.

It's impossible to have two users called Administrator so probably only one is actually called that. The Username you see on the desktop is a "friendly" name not necessarily the actual username. If this is XP Pro you can go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer management -> Local Users & Groups and see the REAL names of all the user accounts.

You can always use TweakUI's autologon setting to force the PC to autologon to whatever account you want.

Or you could delete the user account that is not the real Administrator account (or just disable it in the Computer Management control panel) and if the real Administrator account is the only one left, then that will be the one the system will default to.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

joeyll
Genuine Member

Post by joeyll »

I dl tweakUI and got it to boot directly to my administrator account without the welcome screen popping up..Thanks guys and Penguin!!

Joey