Can't install XP updates

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
nitro237

Can't install XP updates

Post by nitro237 »

I have a desktop computer with XP Pro corp edition. I did a fresh install and now I can not install any updates. I have googled and found lots of suggestions but none seem to work.

Any ideas ?

ZYFER

Post by ZYFER »

One thing I have done which helps sometimes is installed the latest service pack.

I have used this before:
http://www.codeplex.com/aureset

It has fixed Windows update issues. Be sure to let it thoroughly finish or you will have worse issues.
When all else fails, replace the user.
MegaVectra

Post by MegaVectra »

nitro237

Post by nitro237 »

I will try those.

Anyone else had issues like this?

BTW, I have tried the dial-a-fix download, didn't fix it for me.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Are you trying automatic updates within XP? Have you tried AutoPatcher?
http://www.autopatcher.com
That is what I use to update my systems. It grabs the update files directly from MS, then allows you to selectively pick which ones you want to install. NOTE: for XP, you have to install SP3 or it won't work.
nitro237

Post by nitro237 »

Executioner wrote:Are you trying automatic updates within XP? Have you tried AutoPatcher?
http://www.autopatcher.com
That is what I use to update my systems. It grabs the update files directly from MS, then allows you to selectively pick which ones you want to install. NOTE: for XP, you have to install SP3 or it won't work.
No, I'm not using auto updates, but I am trying to update manually through windows website. I have used autopatcher in the past, but this computer belongs to a coworkers mother. I want her to be able to update it easily. She would have no clue about autopatcher.

It's just aggravating, it's a new install, I can't figure out why it wont work. I have reformatted twice, deleted the whole partition, started clean.

I am fed up with it. It should work.

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I had a glitch on one machine where sp3 would not install unless I disabled all the AV/spyware apps. Are your firewall settings allowing update to phone home?

good luck
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
Key Keeper

Post by Key Keeper »

SP? I had issues after installing SP3. Had to use the update repair tool from microsoft and then it worked fine. Here it is, right click "save target..." make sure "all" file types is selected or it will default to a html. I dont use a dL manager so I have to dL these this way.

http://home.hot.rr.com/keykeeper/au_cli ... redist.rar
[email="chevelle.h@gmail.com"][color="red"]MAIL[/color][/email]
nitro237

Post by nitro237 »

It's a clean new install with XP Pro w/SP2 Corp with a legit key. I go to windows update and try to update the 97 updates for SP2 instead of sp3.

It downloads all the updates just fine, just wont install them.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Very strange that it's happening on a fresh install.

There were 2 installs you had to do first before the 96 updates were available. One was an update for Windows Update itself, and the other was the WGA update. Obviously WGA is working or it wouldn't even download them. It could be the initial Windows update didn't install right.

If you Google around the fix for that is to delete all the files in the Windows Update folder and then let it install them again.

You could also try to manually install some of the updates (write down the KB numbers of the first two for instance) and see if you can download them yourself and install them. If you can then maybe that will let the rest of them work through the Windows Update mechanism.

Have you tried letting automatic updates install them? Auto updates uses a completely different mechanism (the Windows Updates uses an ActiveX control which can become broken, auto updates bypasses IE entirely). Just try to install the first few selectively with auto updates and then go back and try Windows Update again.

It really might also be worth installing SP3 since in the process it does update the Windows Update modules and may fix the problem as a side-effect. No reason not to install SP3 on a new install at this point. SP3 is pretty solid now, and the few issues it has never show up on a clean install. After SP3 you'll still have several updates that need to be done so you can test Windows Update.

Another option I've used to get around an annoying Windows Update problem is to switch to Microsoft Updates (just click the button to upgrade to Microsoft Updates in the right side of the Windows Update window). This installs a completely different ActiveX control and update core files which may solve the problem. Microsoft Update does the same thing but also checks for updates for all other M$ products including Office, etc.

Hope this helps...
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

nitro237

Post by nitro237 »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Very strange that it's happening on a fresh install.

There were 2 installs you had to do first before the 96 updates were available. One was an update for Windows Update itself, and the other was the WGA update. Obviously WGA is working or it wouldn't even download them. It could be the initial Windows update didn't install right.

If you Google around the fix for that is to delete all the files in the Windows Update folder and then let it install them again.

You could also try to manually install some of the updates (write down the KB numbers of the first two for instance) and see if you can download them yourself and install them. If you can then maybe that will let the rest of them work through the Windows Update mechanism.

Have you tried letting automatic updates install them?
Yes, it did download and install the first 2 you mentioned, and then downloaded the other 97 when they were to instaled it went through the list really fast and said they all failed.

I googled and found a lot of others that have had the same or similar problems and found tons of suggestions, including deleting the update folder contents,with no luck.

I tried installing 1 or 2 at a time and they did install, but don't want to do that 90 something times.

I have not tried the auto updates yet, I guess I'll try that today.

Thanks for the suggestions.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well if you just want to install them all, you can use one of the alternatives like autopatcher or the Heiss security update installer, but you want to fix the issue (or at least confirm that auto updates works) so the client continues to get updates.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

nitro237

Post by nitro237 »

UPDATE

I let it do the auto update. It installed about 11 updates, rebooted, installed 70 something more manually, seems to be working now.

I was reading about some "silent" updates ???

Thanks to all for the suggestions :s mile

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I realize that this was fixed, but thought I'd post it anyhow since it's helped me on numerous occasions when WU wouldn't work.
Open the command prompt (type cmd in the run box), and type the following commands. Press ‘ENTER’ key after each command:

regsvr32 wuapi.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 wucltui.dll
regsvr32 wups.dll
regsvr32 wups2.dll
regsvr32 wuweb.dll

There may be some errors on registering on the DLL, which can be ignored. Once re-registered, check for updates again. In most case, Automatic Update will work almost immediately. If trick does not work, try to disable UAC. You can always re-enable the UAC once the Windows Update gets working again.
ZYFER

Post by ZYFER »

normalicy wrote:I realize that this was fixed, but thought I'd post it anyhow since it's helped me on numerous occasions when WU wouldn't work.
The tools that were mentioned actually automate the process making it far simpler. Also tend to contain said files in case they are missing in any way.
When all else fails, replace the user.