Vista won't sleep or hibernate

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
impuresoul2k3

Vista won't sleep or hibernate

Post by impuresoul2k3 »

Hey guys long time no see :)

I have Vista Ultimate installed on my laptop. If I shut the lid/or push the power button, it will sleep or hibernate(depending how I have it set) but only for a little bit, then it just randomly turns itself back on I've also had it where I can shut the lid and it looks like its preparing to sleep, but then it doesn't. So I open the screen to manual put it to sleep, but as soon as I open it then it goes to sleep. Close the screen and it wakes back up

Any ideas how to fix it, I really hate getting to class and having the laptop be burning hot and have 20 mins of battery left.
Athlon 3500+
1.5gb PC4200 Ram
nVidia 7600GS
DVD+-R/RW Dual Layer
Segate 160gb HD
Sweet 15" CRT!

Heat
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

This is very hard to diagnose, although it rarely happens on a laptop.

SOMETHING is tricking the system into thinking you're moving the mouse or typing on the keyboard. It could be a driver issue, a background app, a trojan (a poorly written keylogger for instance).

Process of elimination. If this only just started recently, try to figure out what you may have installed or changed recently.

Try disabling things to see if it helps. Disable the keypad driver, disconnect the mouse, if you use an external keyboard unplug it. Pull all USB devices, disable background apps, etc.

I've seen keypads go bad and do this. I've also seen this a lot with Bluetooth mice and keyboards.

Might even be your power saver settings.

Hope this helps...
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

impuresoul2k3

Post by impuresoul2k3 »

Its done it for a while, probably since I first got it, or shortly after. All the wake-on options are unchecked, I turned off the media sharing service, the options are set in the Battery Profiles to allow it to sleep.

The weirdest thing is I close the lid, it won't sleep, so I open the lid to use the sleep option through vista, but as soon as I open the lid, then it goes to sleep. Sometimes if I shut it again, it comes back on, other times it stays asleep for a little bit, or until I open the screen again.
Athlon 3500+
1.5gb PC4200 Ram
nVidia 7600GS
DVD+-R/RW Dual Layer
Segate 160gb HD
Sweet 15" CRT!

Heat