Vista Explorer.exe issue

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
mtg

Vista Explorer.exe issue

Post by mtg »

So im working a friends computer it has vista ultimate and explorer.exe will not load automatically i have checked the registry and the values are correct i even deleted the shell and made a new one still explorer.exe will not load automatically if i use task manager it will load and i have run all the necessary virus and spy ware if some one could please help me
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Try running the repair option from the installation disc.
mtg

Post by mtg »

i have a vista disk pre service pack and this computer has sp1
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Have you scanned the drive for viruses by connecting the drive to another computer as a spare?

I would try a system restore first if you haven't yet.

If you have to, you can do a repair install from the disc and then install SP1 immediately afterwards.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

mtg

Post by mtg »

tried system restore how do u do the repair install on vista i know how in xp just not vista
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

mtg wrote:tried system restore how do u do the repair install on vista i know how in xp just not vista
It's the same. Boot to the installation disc and select "Repair" from your options. It won't matter that the installation disc isn't SP1. It will still work. I had to repair my Vista Home Premium w/ SP1 installed several months ago. It worked fine.