Weird computer prob.

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
mtg

Weird computer prob.

Post by mtg »

I have XP PRO 3 gb of ram and a gforce 6150 onboar graphics so here is my prob so my computer is in my room so at night i turn it on standby which on my turns off all fans and lights so its quite well everything has been okay and every thing is okay until i put my machine in to standby it goes into stand by fine and stays but when i wake it up it works for 5 secs then it freezes and the screen look all liney and such like my video card is bad but everything works as long as a I don't put the machine into standby then i can go all day on the computer i am running virus and spyware scans now i don't think it has to do with that tho any suggestions?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Did it used to go to sleep okay?

This is not uncommon. Desktop PCs don't do sleep mode very well - especially custom PCs. Too many different combination of hardware. Laptops handle it better because the hardware is set from the factory and never changes - it's hard to upgrade a laptop except for peripherals.

Basically you have a driver that's not behaving - possibly the video driver from what you describe, but it could be anything.

If it used to sleep fine before, then think about what hardware you've changed recently or what driver you may have updated.

Try download the latest drivers for your video, sound and network cards. Try unplugging all your USB devices (except mouse & keyboard).

My own Dell 9200 desktop does not reliably wake up from sleep mode. I just let it spin down the drive after and hour and put the displays to sleep after 30 minutes. I have Intel's Speedstep enabled so the CPU throttles down when idle, and the fans all spin down to low speed when it's not running hot.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

mtg

Post by mtg »

well it was working fine the only thing i did was got a new dvd drive i unpluged it thinking it was the prob but it still did it updated video same thing so i guess sound and network?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Any new programs? Especially apps that run in the background?

You could also try using System Restore to go back to a date when everything was working. Maybe something got screwed up in the registry.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.