Microsoft Security Essentials now available

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay AntiVir did detect malicious files but ONLY after initiating a manual scan of the zip file or trying to execute one of the infected files (after renaming it to .EXE). It did not, however, detect a threat when just opening the ZIP file like Microsoft did.

EXEC: That's Symantec Corporate edition which is a very different product than Norton. It's generally very good and light weight, but my version is a few years old.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Well, in theory, Microsoft of all companies should be on top of what viruses are attacking their OSs.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

AVG was the same as AntiVir: it only detected them when I initiated a manual scan of the files or tried to execute the files. Opening the zip file alone did not trigger a threat warning.

Yeah my Symantec is 4 - 5 years old. It was the bomb in it's time. Time to take it off my bench PC and I'll probably put Microsoft Essentials on there. I have Avira running on my workstation (can't run Microsoft Essentials on it because it doesn't support WinXP x64). Symantec is still running on my file server because free AV doesn't run on a server OS. I don't really need anything bleeding edge on the server as it's only a file server and it has no internet access.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

EXEC: Yes it's an EXE file. You can download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/security_essen ... ?mkt=en-us

If you go to the website using IE it gives you a download link for your OS version. If you browse with Firefox it has you pick the version you need (Vista/Win7, XP, x86, x64).

At this point I would say this is a good AV for the average person - especially a non-techie. It installs VERY quickly, it's very light weight (AntiVir has a bit smaller memory footprint), very light on resource use, and a very simple control panel. Updates are fast. The only thing the critics are saying is that manual and scheduled scans take longer than other products, but if that means it's also doing a thorough job that's okay by me. I don't care if an automatic scan at 3am takes 30 minutes instead of 20, as long as it doesn't bog down my system while I'm working on it.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Bummer...it requires genuine advantage to be installed.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Ofcourse, it's a Microsoft product.

I gave up caring about WGA a long time ago. I prefer doing selective Windows updates and you have to have WGA installed for that. No getting away from it.

Honestly no one should be running a pirated version of WinXP nowadays anyway unless the PC is off the Internet entirely. You're just asking for trouble. Besides, plenty of OEM and retail COAs out there for the taking. Every time a client gives me an old PC to take to the dump, I make sure to keep the COA for myself if it's a standard OEM or retail one. I use them in Charity builds. I have a few XP Upgrade COAs and CDs from decommissioned systems too.

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Funny, I have about 8 XP COA's & I still install pirated slipstream versions. I just can't ignore all the trouble it saves. Especially the thorough ones that turn off unnecessary services & install the most recent updates.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I do have legit versions, 3 total, but they are un-opened still in their sealed cases. I get my updates from autopatcher.