strange windows program start!

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
renovation

strange windows program start!

Post by renovation »

you go to start menu and then all programs then click on a program .
here is were the problem starts .
after you click on the program you want a window pops up asking what you what program do you want to use to open the program .
it give you a choice of programs just some i remember coming up in the box below.
adobe , internet explorer ,word ,note pad & others i just dont remember them .
also give you the option to search your hard drive for a program to open it.
it is windows xp running on this machine
the Last time I was Talking to myself . I got into such a heated argument . that is why I swore I never talk to that guy again. you know what it worked now no buddy talking to me. :help
DoPeY5007
Almighty Member

Post by DoPeY5007 »

sounds like it is not an exe that you are trying to open
Image Image Image

"I'm seriously going to pummel you until you purr like a bitch-kitten!!"
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

More likely it's a file than a program. Windows apparently doesn't have a program associated with the file to run it. If it doesn't automatically find the proper program to run it (search online), then the best thing to do is to check what the file extension is (aka.: .pdf, .txt, .doc, .swf, etc.). If it really is a program that you are trying to access, something is really messed up.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Sounds like the association for .EXE files is broken. This can happen if a virus is improperly removed.

Assuming there was not a virus you cleaned just before this happened then the simplest fix is to use System Restore.

There are also .EXE file association registry fixes but the problem is that if .EXE is broken then something else might be too.

If this is for XP you will find file association registry patches for all major file extensions including .EXE here: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Hope this helps...
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.