Shortcuts dont work

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Just checking since it seems that there is a lack of input response. So does the “Press any key to boot CD” come up at all? If not & if a BIOS reset doesn't do the trick I'm lost on this one.
blade_146
Golden Member

Post by blade_146 »

No that doesn't even come up. Its so weird. And I just had another one to do this after work just now. The deal with the shortcuts I mean. god I dont know what is going on but I'm about to pull my hair out with this crap. You remove the malware then your pc still screwed up. I wonder if they are morphing into something that causes more problems if it gets deleted somehow?
<b><a href=mailto:k_otic1@bellsouth.net>EMAIL</a></b>
<b><a href=http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=2322>Heatware Evals</a></b>

Core I7 920 @ 4.0GHZ| Asus P6T Deluxe V2 |2x WD 640gb RAID 0--2x WD 1TB| Philips 20x SATA DVD | 12 gigs Corsair XMS | SB Audigy2 Fatality | GeForce GTX 260 Core Edition | Thermaltake 700w PSU |Antec 900 Case | 6mb DSL |
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I think that SuperAntiSpyWare has a tab called REPAIR if you click on the Preference button. You can try that and see if it works.
blade_146
Golden Member

Post by blade_146 »

Lol well I would..but nothing will open lol. Im telling ya its aggravating as hell

Core I7 920 @ 4.0GHZ| Asus P6T Deluxe V2 |2x WD 640gb RAID 0--2x WD 1TB| Philips 20x SATA DVD | 12 gigs Corsair XMS | SB Audigy2 Fatality | GeForce GTX 260 Core Edition | Thermaltake 700w PSU |Antec 900 Case | 6mb DSL |
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Oh yes, believe me. Removing spyware can totally leave a system in swiss cheese mode. Some spyware so totally takes over parts of windows that it's almost not windows anymore. Thus, I've been reinstalling windows quite frequently lately.
blade_146
Golden Member

Post by blade_146 »

Ok so Im throwing in the towel on this one. Ive tried 3 different cd roms, 2 different cables, both ide ports, and even hooked up a different hard drive and it makes no difference. I reset the cmos, checked and double checked connections, everything i know to do and it will not boot to a cd for anything. You cant run the disk in windows because no exe's will work. W T F!! But its a old machine running a P3 1ghz cpu. Looks like it may be time to get this guy a new one. I'm all out of ideas and frustration has gotten the best of me.

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Did you ever try it with the hard drive all drives but the CD-ROM disconnected? Also, try putting the hard drive on the Secondary IDE & the CD-ROM on the primary. The BIOS just may be that stupid (believe me, I've run into those kind, especially from that era).
blade_146
Golden Member

Post by blade_146 »

Yep tried that as well

normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Wow, that's pretty bad. I'm guessing this is actually a hardware failure that was a bit progressive. I've actually run into this. Started out troubleshooting a computer that had suspected virus & ended up slowly working it's way to only booting every other time & not getting past the initial boot screen. It ended up being the motherboard (couldn't tell if it was the caps, but it was of that era).