How to Setup Windows 8/8.1 so you NEVER see the tile desktop

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

How to Setup Windows 8/8.1 so you NEVER see the tile desktop

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Posting this here for the benefit of some friends and family who need a tutorial.

1) Open Internet Explorer. If you're in the Windows 8 tile desktop, click on the small Internet Explorer icon or, if you don't see it, just type "Internet Explorer" (without quotes) which should bring up a list of shortcuts that match.

2) Download the latest version of the free program Classic Shell and install from: http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/

3) When Classic Shell runs for the first time, place a checkmark next to "Show All Settings" and click on the radio button next to "Windows 7 Style":

4) Click on the "Windows 8 Settings" tab and place a checkmark next to "Skip Metro screen" and click the radio button next to "All" under "Disable Active Corners". Then click OK.

5) Now you need to associate files with the classic windows programs instead of the (default) Tile desktop apps, so when you double click on a file it opens a viewer or player in the classic desktop. To do this, click on the Windows Start button in the lower left corner to open the Start menu:

If you have the older Windows 8 instead of Windows 8.1, the start button will look like this:

6) Click on the search box in the Start Menu:

7) Then type in the search box "set default programs" (without quotes). This will show you a link to "Set Your Default Programs". Click on this link.

8) In the "Set Default Programs" window, click on "Windows Media Player" to highlight it. Then click the button to the right that says "Set this program as default":

9) Do the same for "Window Photo Viewer":

10) Finally, download and install the latest Adobe Reader from here: http://get.adobe.com/reader/
NOTE: Uncheck the "Optional Offer" to install McAfee's worthless Security Scan Plus, or any other "Optional" offers.

When the Adobe Reader installer runs, it will ask if you want to open PDF files with Adobe Reader by default. Answer YES to avoid opening PDFs in the tile desktop PDF reader.

That's it! You should never see the Tile desktop again.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

BTW, for those of you who are a bit more techie, Classic Shell allows you to use a custom Start Menu button. They are available for download or you can even make your own.

This is the one I use which looks identical to the Win7 Start button: http://soldcentralfl.com/bob/Start_Button.png

You need to put it someplace where Classic Shell can load it. I usually just put it in the Classic Shell folder in \PROGRAM FILES

Under Windows 8.1, Microsoft did add a real Start button (no start menu though) and Classic Shell gives you the option of not loading a Start Button replacement at all and instead, using the default Win 8.1 start button. That's what I did on my laptop which I just updated to 8.1:

-------------------
UPDATED 2/7/15:

By default, Win8/8.1 makes you log into Windows using a Microsoft account. You can opt out and use a classic Local user Account instead. When prompted to enter your Microsoft Account, select "Sign up for a Microsoft Account" and on that page you will have an option called something like "Use a Local Account".

Having a Microsoft account is no benefit unless you use Metro apps. It ties you to the Microsoft Store in the same way a Google account ties Android and Chrome to the Google Play Store.

If you create a Microsoft account login by accident, you can always switch to a Local User Account later:
http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-switc ... l-account/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Nice guide. I'm still finding quarks with windows 8.1.

My daughter is into the Disney Infinity stuff. I found out that you can install a version for the PC that lets you play with your characters you've purchased. The version from Disney would not work. It would get to the Disney logo, freeze, and then crash to the desktop. I tried all the compatibility modes and played with the user rights for the program but nothing worked. I found out that the Microsoft store had a version so I tried that one. Works fine but it has to run in app mode.

You may also want to add to the sticky that you don't have to set up the computer with a Microsoft account. You can use a local account. Also, the 8.1 update has to be installed from the Microsoft Store. I still don't understand that.
wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I put this on my wife's dell which came with 8.0 and haven't looked back since. As long as she stays away from the Win8 hotspots on the screen it acts like a real computer rather than a POS terminal at McD's.
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

wvjohn: You can turn off the hotspots so that she never even triggers them by accident. In my tutorial above, it's Step 4: Disable Active Corners = ALL

You can still get to the tile desktop if you have to because Classic Shell gives you a shortcut to it in the Start Menu, and all the Tile apps are also available via the All Programs -> Apps menu in the start menu.

Err: Yeah, there's a LOT I could get into. Didn't want to bury people with too much.

FYI: There is a way to switch to a local user account AFTER you've setup the PC with a Microsoft logon, and not lose anything:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window ... indows-81/

As regards that Disney app, did you try disabling UAC? In Win8 you actually have to use a registry hack to completely disable UAC. Even with the UAC slider turned down, it's still running at a minimal level. There's lots of old apps that violate modern security programming practice that UAC won't allow. Only down side of completely disabling UAC is that the Tile apps won't work - they require at least minimal UAC.

ZYFER

Post by ZYFER »

I agree, I think it is kind of dumb to force an update to be done from the ... Windows Store? I thought that is what Windows Update is for? Next time I go I go to the grocery store, I'm gonna get them to update my toaster.

I do like the Classic Shell, I just think it is dumb that it is even needed. Leave it to Microsoft to make you install third-party software to get options that should have been there before.
When all else fails, replace the user.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

The is a way to do the 8.1 update using a CD or USB stick made with the downloaded 8.1 installer ISO. You can Google it.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Here's a followup on my last post. You CAN download the Win 8.1 ISO and burn a DVD or put it on a flash drive, and then use it to upgrade 8.0 to 8.1. There's a bit of a trick to get Microsoft to let you download it without an 8.1 key, but it still works. I just tried it because I need to have an 8.1 installer for my clients, just in case. Instructions here: http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windo ... roduct-key

KEEP IN MIND that you CANNOT install 8.1 clean using a Win 8.0 key - won't work. It's stupid, considering 8.1 is a free update, but that's the way it is. Unlike service packs you have to have a key for 8.1 otherwise you must install 8 first and then do the upgrade.

Nuby1Canuby

Post by Nuby1Canuby »

I uninstalled classic shell since you can now right click on the start button to display Windows options:

You can also get a pop up list of your folders on the taskbar by enabling the desktop toolbar from the tasbar properties menu.:

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Good step by step tutorial here on how to setup a new Win8 (or Win10 for that matter) install WITHOUT using a Microsoft login (use a local account instead, which is equivalent of how you logged into previous versions of Windows).

How to sign into Windows 8 or 8.1 without a Microsoft account - make a local user:
http://www.hanselman.com/blog/HowToSign ... lUser.aspx

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I've always thought that MS login was ridiculous. No internet - no computer. Band enough when you have to connect to the web for games, but just to use your computer makes no sense.
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

UPDATE:

This pretty much works with Windows 10 also.