Teracopy - Great util for copying files from corrupt drives

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Teracopy - Great util for copying files from corrupt drives

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I don't think I've ever mentioned this utility before, probably because I take it for granted. It's included in Hiren's Boot Disk, in his Mini XP live bootable utility OS. However you can also install it on any Windows OS, and you can even create a portable USB version. I have it installed on my Bench PC which I mainly use to copy data from bad client hard drives.

It can integrate with Windows Explorer so you have the option of using it for copying/moving files by default, or to get prompted each time.

It gives you many useful features over a regular Windows Explorer copy. For one thing, it will keep copying files, even if it hits an error. It presents you with a report of all copied files and failed copies at the end. So no coming back after starting a large folder copy, only to find that the PC has been sitting there waiting for you to click "SKIP" when it hits a file with a CRC error.

You can pause the copy process and resume at any time. It provides much more detailed info on the number and size of files copied/to be copied, and a more accurate estimated time.

Here's a screenshot of a client's drive I'm trying to salvage data from right now. The drive was unmountable in Windows initially, until I ran Spinrite level 2 and CHKDSK on it. Now I can mount the drive and see the folders and files, but the drive is in such bad shape that it took 8 hours to run CHKDSK, around 2 hours to copy 2GB of Document files, and now it's munching away on 20GB of picture files (that time estimate has been jumping between 8 hours and 3 days, depending on how slow certain parts of the drive are).

Very useful utility.

http://www.codesector.com/teracopy

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

thx!
<a href="http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=123" target="_blank" >Heatware</a>
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try next time I run into a corrupted drive. Now if only I could find a utility that could read a zero wiped drive.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I've been using it for a couple of years. Excellent utility for copying or moving files.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I like that it won't sit there and wait on you. I need that!
Grabbing a copy! Thanks Bob!
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Free version is all I've ever used, but I decided to buy the Pro version license yesterday for my work bench PC, just to thank them for a utility I've been using for years.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Free version is all I've ever used, but I decided to buy the Pro version license yesterday for my work bench PC, just to thank them for a utility I've been using for years.
Ditto! I purchased a license also after using it for a few months. I think it was less than $20.
psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Free version is all I've ever used, but I decided to buy the Pro version license yesterday for my work bench PC, just to thank them for a utility I've been using for years.
lol, they should pay you a commission. This is something I've been using forever, but never really put much thought that they had a paid version. I also decided to pay up as well :)
[SIZE="1"]When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.[/size]
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Teracopy - Great util for copying files from corrupt drives

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I still use this app A LOT. Just last week I had to copy 2TB of sleep studies data to a backup drive for a client who is a doctor that runs a sleep lab. Even though the studies are backed up locally and to a cloud, he wanted the past 7 years worth copied to a portable drive he could take off-site and throw in a safe. Just setup all the copy jobs and walked away from it for a day and came back the next day to make sure there were no failed copies, and handed him the drive.

In the process of building a new home file server this week and I'm copying around 1.5TB of data from the old server. Same thing - setup copy jobs for five drive partitions and just letting it run all day. No worries about coming back and finding it's stalled waiting for confirmation for something like you get with Windows Explorer.