Installed Creator's Update

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Err
Life Member

Installed Creator's Update

Post by Err »

I took the plunge and installed the Creator's update. I had to reinstall Java because the declicker program I used for my vinyl recordings wouldn't open. Oblivion won't open but I suspect it's a driver issue related to the configuration files. I'll probably need to delete my user.ini file and let it regenerate. Skyrim opens fine. I was in a rage because handbrake and Movie Studio wouldn't open due to d3d9.dll errors. After reinstalling video drivers and directx, I happened across the solution and it isn't related to the update. MSI Afterburner has to be closed in order to use them.

Of course, some of my associations are screwed up and I haven't went in and uninstalled all of the 3d modeling crap. A Defender icon now sets in your notification area. I already turned off the new gaming related functions, Afterburner and Gforce already do a good job of capturing.
wvjohn

Re: Installed Creator's Update

Post by wvjohn »

I've seen some other posts where creator update installed different video and other drivers which caused a problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/com ... _creators/
wvjohn

Creator's Update fail on Amd (and other?) boxes

Post by wvjohn »

Apparently running Win10 is no guarantee that CA will install on certain hardware

people are reporting that MS and MFGR pointing fingers at each other > it's their problem, not ours

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 7a588dae5d

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 0d5c738923

Microsoft released the third revision of Windows 10, called the Anniversary Update or version 1607 in August of 2016. Since then, many users have been reporting issues trying to upgrade to the latest version; even though they are running a version of Windows 10, 1507 or 1511. The next version of Windows 10 Creators Update version 1703 is another release users will need to prepare for before upgrading.

The unfortunate reality is, even though you might be able to run a version of Windows 10, it does not guarantee you will be able to run the latest version or the version after that. If you have been making attempts to upgrade without success, you probably need to check the manufacturers website for your computer model to find out if its compatible with the Creators Update or Anniversary Update or not.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

All my Win10 PCs are Pro and I have the group policy set to defer major upgrades so I won't have the Creators Update pushed out to me for another 4-6 months. By then it should all be sorted out, and I always image the drive before an upgrade just in case.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

All of the 3D modeling stuff can't be uninstalled. I haven't had any issues with the update but unless there were some under the hood changes, I don't know why this update exists. I suggest holding off. Even the new gaming stuff is pointless unless you use Beam to stream.

I do think the problems people are seeing are driver related. A lot of people are still running older hardware (I'm on a P67 board). In my opinion it is both the manufactures and Microsoft's fault. The manufacturers knew this update was coming and Microsoft needs to stop installing over 3rd party drivers. When I install new Video drivers, I always deselect the 3D Vision drivers. On once occasion, I had Windows 10 decide it wanted to install them anyway.

I remember that I had to completely wipe my daughter's laptop in install the Anniversary Update. Something would not allow it to install.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

First client with a Creators update problem today. It wasn't the update itself (which was installing when I left), it was the Windows update & Privacy patch it installs prior to the main update. It stalled on reboot and caused explorer to hang: no taskbar icons, clicking the Start button would do nothing, opening most system Windows would just give you a blank window. Reboot didn't help.

Had to reboot in safe mode, disable all startup apps, reboot, and then the new privacy notice ran normally, showing me the new privacy settings. Rebooted again with startups enabled and its all good.

I dunno. Doesn't seem like this update was well vetted.

It was Win 10 Home of course, so no choice on the upgrade. As I have said many times, make sure you have Win 10 Pro on any new PCs so you can defer the big version upgrades. You can also use group policy in Pro to prevent all updates from auto installing.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

Unfortunately, I have home. I wanted to get it installed because I know I'll probably be hearing from relatives in the coming weeks about how something no longer works.

One of my biggest complaints about Window 10 still persists. I don't understand why the settings are spread out between the Settings Gear and the Control Panel. This really needs unified.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

BTW: There are ways to block updates in Home to allow you to do them manually, but some are a pain. My laptop is running Home and I have it configured to never do updates on metered connections, and I have my Wifi setup as a metered connection (only works with Wifi). There's also some registry hacks, but I've never tried them.

Yeah. IN THEORY everything is SUPPOSED to be accessible through the settings gear via the modern UI. IN PRACTICE it's not. Sometimes it's just plain easier finding them in the old control panel, but sometimes that's the only place you can go.

FOR INSTANCE: As a standard step in my tuneup checklist, I change a client's NTP server to us.pool.ntp.org for clock updates. In WIn8 and previous you right clicked on the clock, selected "Adjust Data and Time" and then a window popped open which included a tab for "Internet Time". In Win10 it takes you to the modern UI Settings window but all you can do is change the data and time there. To get to the NTP settings you have to click "Additional date and time settings" which THEN opens the old skool date and time window with the "Internet Time" tab.

It just feels like such a shabby integration. Don't get me wrong, though, I'm ELATED the old Control panel is still there - I use it all the time. It's just annoying that you HAVE to use the new settings window for some things so you're bouncing back and forth.

Nuby1Canuby

Post by Nuby1Canuby »

I installed it yesterday and Malwarebytes 3 and CoD Black Ops 3 stopped working.
I disabled all the new Windows gaming options and Black Ops 3 was fine after that.
I only use Malwarebytes on demand to scan specific files but it would always show 0 files scanned. I uninstalled and reinstalled it and it's fine now.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Nuby1Canuby wrote:I disabled all the new Windows gaming options and Black Ops 3 was fine after that.
What "gaming options" are you referring to??
NubyCanuby_OFC

Post by NubyCanuby_OFC »

:smackme
Last edited by NubyCanuby_OFC on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nuby1Canuby

Post by Nuby1Canuby »

Losbot wrote: What "gaming options" are you referring to??
Under Windows, Settings, Gaming:
I turned off Game bar, Game DVR, Background recording and Use Game Mode.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Looks like Creators update does remove Classic Shell like previous updates, and some people report it damages Classic Shell in a way that it can't easily be reinstalled. There's a troubleshooting tool on the Classic Shell website that manually removes all the files so it can be reinstalled:

Fix Classic Shell on Windows 10 Anniversary Update
http://winaero.com/blog/fix-classic-she ... ry-update/

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Looks like Creators update does remove Classic Shell like previous updates, and some people report it damages Classic Shell in a way that it can't easily be reinstalled. There's a troubleshooting tool on the Classic Shell website that manually removes all the files so it can be reinstalled:

Fix Classic Shell on Windows 10 Anniversary Update
http://winaero.com/blog/fix-classic-she ... ry-update/
More reasons why I hate MS. Sucks we have to have it if we want to game.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

That is why my gaming days are going to be limited on my PC. I'm planning on moving to using Linux Mint 18. I have a spare Lenovo T510 laptop where I installed x64 image on a spare 128 gig SSD. I plan to use it just for surfing, word processing, etc. everything except for gaming.

As for gaming, what about moving to consoles?