How to install install Windows 10 as clean as possible (kill all the telemetry and cloud crap) - Updated 7/29/20

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

How to install install Windows 10 as clean as possible (kill all the telemetry and cloud crap) - Updated 7/29/20

Post by FlyingPenguin »

- UPDATED 1/18/19: Added new links for Open Shell & Spybot Anti-Beacon, and links to defer updates in Win10 Pro. Updated some of the links.
- UPDATED 5/9/2019: Added note about more control over updates in build 1903
- UPDATED 11/19/2019: Added option to disable Cortana entirely from Win 10 Pro's Group Policy Editor
- UPDATED 7/29/20: Added option to switch Windows Update to manual using GPEDIT in Win10 Pro
- UPDATED 6/12/21: More detailed instructions for disabling auto updates via Group Policy (can still be run manually) and disabling auto driver updates.

I've discussed this in other posts but never really written a walkthru. This won't be detailed as most of you are tech savvy enough to understand it, or Google anything you don't:

MAKE YOUR USER A LOCAL USER:
A Local Account is the type of account we're all familiar with from Win7 and prior. Since Win8, Microsoft would prefer you use a Microsoft Account. If you're doing an upgrade from Win7, then a local account will be the default. If you're doing a clean install or buying a new PC, then Win10 wants to make you log in with an MS Account, and this is what links your PC to all the cloud crap. When you are asked to setup an MS Account, there should be a small link at the bottom of the page to "Skip this step" and then you are offered the option to create a local account: https://www.austintechnology.com.au/log ... t-account/

EVEN EASIER: When you first setup Win10 DO NOT connect it to the Internet (when it asks to connect to your Wifi, just skip it). If Win10 can't talk to the mothership, it defaults to setting you up as a local user and skips setting up all the social/phone home crap.

You can also switch to a local account later if you accidentally setup an MS account, or vice a versa: https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-1 ... t-account/

INSTALL OPEN SHELL (formerly Classic Shell):
This not only gets rid of the silly new Tile based Start menu, and restores the classic Win7-style Start menu, but also bypasses and disables a lot of the cloud search and Cortana crap, as well as kills the embedded MS app advertising in the Start Menu. By tweaking the Classic Shell settings you can make your start menu look, feel and function EXACTLY like it did in Win7 (in Classic Shell settings Show All Settings -> Skin -> Windows Aero). I happen to prefer Open Shell, and it's free, but there's other Start Menu replacements out there as well like Start10 (not free, but only $5).
https://open-shell.github.io/Open-Shell-Menu/

NOTE: Open Shell will occasionally give you a pop-up asking for permission to install an update, or to reconfigure itself after a major Windows update. It's safe to allow that.

DISABLE CORTANA FROM THE GROUP POLICY EDITOR (WIN10 PRO ONLY):
Open GPEDIT.MSC and change the following setting: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Search > Allow Cortana = Disabled

RE-ASSIGN DEFAULT ASSOCIATIONS:
Go to the Windows Control Panel, do a search for "Associations". Look for the page that lets you set default file associations. Make whatever video player you want as the default instead of the silly XBox-based modern video player (Windows Media Player or VLC, etc). Same for the music player instead of the stupid Groove player.

I also prefer the old Photo Viewer from Win7, which is still available if you upgraded from Win7 or 8, but requires a registry hack to enable if you did a clean install of Win10:
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-get- ... indows-10/

I also don't like the built-in PDF reader, and if you don't like it either, then install the reader of your choice (Chrome has an excellent built-in PDF reader now, or download Sumatra or Adobe Reader - whatever you prefer) and make it the default.

USE CHROME OR FIREFOX:
For the love of GOD don't use Edge unless you upgrade it to the new Chromium version (should auto install if you're on Win10 build 2004 or later, but you can download it separately). Also, don't use Bing to search for Chrome and Firefox downloads (Edge, of course, uses Bing by default). Unless Microsoft has fixed this, it takes you to fake download sites. Make Chrome or Firefox your default browser, and use Google or DuckDuckGo as your search engine.
Chrome download: https://www.google.com/chrome/
Firefox download: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

INSTALL SPYBOT ANTI-BEACON:
This kills all the phone-home telemetry without having to wade through all the privacy settings in Windows (and kills some things the privacy settings won't let you kill). It also blocks OneDrive ads in File Explorer. The new interface is a little confusing. Just click on "Blocked Telemetry Options", click "Recommended" then click "Done".

DEFER UPDATES (Win 10 Pro only):
If you have Win10 Pro you can defer "feature updates" (the every 6 month major update that is like what a Service Pack used to be) for up to a year. You can also defer security updates for 30 days. With all the buggy updates, better to let everyone else be the guinea pigs first: https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-1 ... g-upgrade/

You don't have the option to defer on Win10 Home. Consider buying the Pro upgrade through the Microsoft Store, or just grit your teeth. There is a trick to force Win10 home not to do updates automatically if you're on a "metered connection". That just makes it nag you until you allow it. As long as you don't put off the updates for TOO long it's okay - just don't defer forever. You do need the security updates. I'd recommend waiting a couple of weeks after they're released to make sure no one is having major problems.

UPDATE: The spring 2019 feature update of Win10 Home (1903) includes more controls in the Updates section including the ability to defer updates: https://www.slashgear.com/windows-10-19 ... -06575628/

Windows 10 Pro users can force Windows Update to ONLY update manually, and never automatically, thus allowing you to defer security updates longer than 30 days, as well as block auto driver updates which can cause a lot of problems.

DISABLE AUTO UPDATES IN WIN10 PRO WITH GROUP POLICY:
- Open Group Policy Editor gpedit.msc
- Go to \Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Update\
- Set "Configure Automatic Updates" to enabled and then select option 2 in the drop down box called "Notify for download and notify for install"

CONFIGURE WINDOWS UPDATE TO DEFER FEATURE UPGRADES 365 DAYS VIA GROUP POLICY:
- Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Windows Update for Business > Select when Preview and Feature Updates are received: Set to Semi-annual & 365 days deferral.

CONFIGURE QUALITY UPDATES ARE DEFERRED 30 DAYS IN GROUP POLICY EDITOR:
- Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Windows Update for Business > Select when Quality Updates are received: set defferal to 30 days

DISABLE AUTO DRIVER UPDATES IN WINDOWS UPDATE USING GROUP POLICY EDITOR:
- Admin Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> Enable "Do not include drivers with Windows Updates"

- Check that Windows Update restrictions stuck via Updates -> Adv Options -> View Configured update policies (it should list all the administrative exceptions enabled in group policy - this is sometimes reset after a build update)

DISABLE ONEDRIVE:
Unless you WANT OneDrive to backup your documents (in which case right click on the OneDrive icon by the clock and create an account). OneDrive won't automatically sync to the cloud if you didn't logon with an MS Account, but you don't need it running all the time in the background if you're not using it. Right click on the OneDrive icon in the taskbar, and just uncheck "Start OneDrive automatically" and then exit it. You can then uninstall it from the Settings -> Apps.

DISABLE ADVERTISING IN THE LOCK SCREEN:
Win10 annoyingly gives you ads in the lock screen. It's easy to disable:
Settings->Personalization->Lock Screen->In the Background drop-down menu, select Picture or Slideshow.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-remo ... e_ads_lock

DISABLE ADVERTISING IN START MENU:
This isn't necessary if you end up using Open Shell or some other start menu replacement, but if you prefer the Win10 Start Menu, but hate the ads, this will turn off the ads:
Settings->Personalization->Start->Turn off the "Occasionally show suggestions in Start" toggle switch.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-remo ... _ads_start

DISABLE "TIPS AND TRICKS" IN ACTION CENTER AND NOTIFICATIONS:
This is a subtle form of advertising. For instance, when you try to make Chrome your default browser, Win10 will cheerfully inform you that Edge is better and ask if you REALLY want to do this:
Settings.->System->Notifications & actions->Under "Notifications", turn off the "Get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows" toggle switch.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-remo ... ads_action

TURN OFF TARGETTED ADS:
Spybot Anti-Beacon should take care of this, but just in case:
Settings->Privacy->General->Under "Change privacy options", turn off the "Let apps use my advertising ID for experiences across apps" toggle switch.
https://www.windowscentral.com/how-remo ... ads_target

That's basically it. Win10 at this point will be a stripped down OS like Win7 with no cloud or social crap. The MS Store will still work if you need to get something from it for some deranged reason, although you will need to manually log into an MS Account to actually purchase something (not required for free apps).

Be aware that MS likes to uninstall programs it considers "incompatible" when a major "Feature" update (what we used to call Service Packs) is released every 6 months It sometime uninstalls Open Shell but you can just re-install it and it saves your settings. It may uninstall Anti-Beacon, and it may reset all the file associations to the defaults again. Annoying, but easily fixed.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: How to install install Windows 10 as clean as possible (kill all the telemetry and cloud crap)

Post by Losbot »

So f'in annoying of them. They REALLY want to push their crap and not listen to the user base.
Executioner
Life Member

Re: How to install install Windows 10 as clean as possible (kill all the telemetry and cloud crap)

Post by Executioner »

You will be simulated. I remember techies saying this with windows 98, but now it's more relevant.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Okay, this was interesting. Setup a new Win10 Laptop for a client today. She bought it at Sam's and it's apparently been sitting on the shelf a while because it was loaded with the 1511 version of Windows 10 which is the "November Update" (the first update after release and the one prior to Anniversary).

I installed the latest Classic Shell, expecting it to get nuked by the update, but it didn't. It just rebooted afterwards and I got a message from Classic Shell that it needed to configure itself for an new operating system. So I THINK the people who are getting Classic Shell nuked are people who don't have the latest version installed.

Also curiously, Win10 did a direct upgrade from version 1511 to 1607 (Anniversary version) so apparently Win10 can't do direct upgrades to the latest version. After it installed 1607, it then downloaded the 1703 (Creators Update) and wanted to installed that. Haven't allowed it to do that yet so don't know if THAT will nuke Classic Shell or not. I'll let you know.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I have another spare Lenovo T510 with 6 gigs of ram and a 250 SSD. I'm going to use the windows 7 pro license from this laptop so I can take a closer look at 10. One piece left out - Cortona. How to disable it?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I would recommend you install the Anniversary update (or older) version on that laptop, since you might have driver issues with the Creators Update.

Installing Classic Shell and Spybot Anti-beacon pretty much kills it, but yeah I forgot to post settings to disable Cortana manually. Here you to and I'll update the list above:

DISABLE CORTANA:
Early versions of Win10 had a simple toggle switch to disable Cortana, but they hid it starting in the Anniversary Update, now requiring you to use Group Policy or a registry hack:
https://www.howtogeek.com/265027/how-to ... indows-10/

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Got it installed with Pro version, version 1703. I did not enable wifi until I installed all the other items first. I did not have to create a local account, as it did that automatically. In version 7 and 8, there was the system properties where it showed it was genuine. I don't see that when I go into computer properties.

Questions on updates:
There are now several options:
In advanced options, they have deferred for x days. Goes all the way up to 365 days. Then right below that:
quality updated can be deferred for x days. Goes all the way up to 365 days. Then below this:
Pause Updates: pause updates for 35 days.

Which one to choose?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah, if you have no internet then it just defaults to a local account. Some people recommend installing Win10 without internet access for this reason, but I don't like to because it also prevents Win10 from downloading drivers during the installation it may need.

If you go to system properties, at the bottom of the page it should say it's activated. It doesn't say the Genuine thing anymore (I don't even get the Genuine thing in Win8.1).

That defer option for Windows update is new. I don't see that in the Anniversary update and that's all I have here. I am putting off the Creators update as long as I can. However I found an explanation here:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3190574/ ... pdate.html

That's actually a nice new feature which I think was a concession to small businesses that need to defer updates and can't afford an Enterprise license. Makes sense because Microsoft recently said that they would support a Windows 10 version for a year, so I guess that's the new mechanism to defer major version updates for up to a year.

I would recommend deferring major updates (feature updates) for at least 6 months. Security updates I would only defer for a week - you really need those and you just want to give a little buffer in case they release a broken one.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

OK thanks. Do you have any tweaks for Classic Shell for win 10?
And one more question: AV program. I can download Panda for example instead of using the built in one Windows Defender.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

No tweaks really. Just pick the skin you like and I also like to change the Control Panel to a link instead of a menu: Customize Start Menu Tab > Control Panel = Display as link.

I would recommend just using the built in Windows Defender. It's light weight and does the job as long as you're not a noob who clicks on links in emails.

I did pick up a 3 PC license for Malwarebytes and I'm using version 3.0 as my AV program on those 3 PCs.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

The Windows 7 Games for Windows 8 and 10 no longer work. I can get only one game to work: Spades, Internet Checkers, and Internet Backgammon. All the other games don't start. Nice move MS.

Update: I downloaded a different copy and installed that version. Seems to work now.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Be aware, every time they install a major Win10 update (like Anniversary to Creators) they nuke Games for Windows. Annoying.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

This is really strange. I have FireFox installed and working fine. I installed Chrome and it works fine, but I can't install any extensions. I want to install ublock origin, but it hangs. It says "checking" and at this point, Chrome is dead. Then I had a hell of a time deleting it. Is this MS way of screwing with Chrome users, because they want people to use Edge browser instead?

UPDATE: got it to work after an hour of google search. I had to disable "Use hardware acceleration when available".
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yeah, I can't believe that's STILL a problem after all these years, but disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome and Firefox is part of my new PC setup checklist. It's a problem in IE also and probably Edge, but I try very hard to keep my clients off those browsers anyway.

Hardware accel is just poorly supported and it really shouldn't be on by default.

Also applies to Flash. I disable Flash hardware accel as it often causes problems. Dell PCs that ship with AMD or NVidia cards seem to be very prone to BSODs due to this.

Most mainstream processors are more than powerful enough nowadays to handle it, so it's really an outdated setting.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

This all still valid?