Windows Server 2016 180 day Evaluation

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Windows Server 2016 180 day Evaluation

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I just put together a new home file server. I debated going with Server 2016 just to learn it for fun (my old server was running Server 2003), but decided not to. I'm not doing server installation or maintenance anymore so I don't really need the learning experience for any practical reasons. My few business clients are all running small networks and if there is a file server it's a simple peer-to-peer file server running Windows 7 or 8 Pro. Even Intuit prefers you not run Quickbooks Enterprise on a real server OS unless you have more than 15 users.

For my home server I certainly don't need to run a real server OS. All Pro versions of Windows after WinXP support up to 20 concurrent users which is plenty for most small business and certainly more than enough for my home server. Running on a standard Pro OS also makes software a heck of a lot more affordable (you don't even want to know what the server version of Acronis costs!).

I still want to poke around with Server 2016 for fun, though, so I downloaded the eval ISO and plan to install it in VMWare.

You can get it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcen ... erver-2016

You want to install the version with the "Desktop Experience" if you want the GUI.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

normalicy

Re: Windows Server 2016 180 day Evaluation

Post by normalicy »

This reassures me a bit. The last time I've used a server OS is Win2000. Win7 has been working fine for me for quite a while.