Crash Plan - Ending Home User Support

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Err
Life Member

Crash Plan - Ending Home User Support

Post by Err »

I received an email last night from CrashPlan stating that they are discontinuing home user support. They will honor the remainder of the subscription and extended it by 60 days. My options were to move to another service or migrate to the small business plan. I opted for the later. You can migrate now and the remaining home subscription will be applied to the small business version. Plus, I get the next 12 months after my original plan expires for 75% off. Basically, they are doubling the plan from $60 per year to $120. $10 per month is worth it to be for reliable service. I've had to use it once when I was migrating files and had a power failure. I was able to recover all of the files I would've otherwise lost.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Crash Plan - Ending Home User Support

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'm wondering what happens to people using the free option. I have a client (historical society in our town) that just uses it for local backups to an external drive on their 3 PCs. They're not using the cloud service.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

There's been so many backup companies that have either shutdown or have completely modified their offering. A friend of mine has gone through like 3 different providers in the time that I've been storing my data on Amazon. Amazon isn't going anywhere, neither is Google or Microsoft. That's why I prefer software like Cloudberry that interfaces with multiple cloud based storage vendors.

The fact that they are making such a drastic change doesn't bold well for them. Big red flags. I wouldn't be surprised if within a year they just shut their doors.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

FlyingPenguin wrote:I'm wondering what happens to people using the free option. I have a client (historical society in our town) that just uses it for local backups to an external drive on their 3 PCs. They're not using the cloud service.
I believe free option is disappearing as well. I know the PC to PC backup is gone.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

"Amazon isn't going anywhere"

Yeah, that's why I personally still have an Amazon S3 account. I use Jungledisk (I have a lifetime license). Even if Jungledisk decides to end support, I can keep on using the client until something drastic changes, and there's also lots of free public domain backup software that works with Amazon S3.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:"Amazon isn't going anywhere"

Yeah, that's why I personally still have an Amazon S3 account. I use Jungledisk (I have a lifetime license). Even if Jungledisk decides to end support, I can keep on using the client until something drastic changes, and there's also lots of free public domain backup software that works with Amazon S3.
I used to have Jungledisk, but it got really bad after they sold it to Rackspace. I have a lifetime license as well. I switched once I found Cloudberry and it performed a lot better and faster.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Jungledisk Workstatiin works fine as long as you own your own Amazon S3 account. I don't use Rackspace. Never had a problem with it. I'm backing up around 200GB and paying just under $5 a month.

JD hasn't added any new features in ages, but it doesn't need any.

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Jungledisk Workstatiin works fine as long as you own your own Amazon S3 account. I don't use Rackspace. Never had a problem with it. I'm backing up around 200GB and paying just under $5 a month.

JD hasn't added any new features in ages, but it doesn't need any.
I thought it worked fine until I tested something else and realized how slow Jungledisk is. Maybe it's gotten better, but 2-3 years ago it was horribly slow compared to other products. And I've always used it with Amazon S3, even after they were bought out.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Hmm, could be slow relative to others. Server and wife's laptop backs up at 3am, and it doesn't matter much to me how long it takes. Reliability is what matters.

It also used to default to an older archive mode in the earlier days (one where the backed up files were available via a drive letter), which my old server was still using. When I upgraded my server this year I setup a whole new online disk for it using the newer version.