Windows 8.1 Pro Repair

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

Windows 8.1 Pro Repair

Post by Executioner »

Never had to do this before, but I had a spare rig that I needed to update - 180+ updates to be exact. After the updates, I thought it would be a good idea to make an image. For this spare rig, I used Macrium Reflect Free. When I fired it up, it could not perform the backup image, because my C drive needed chkdsk c:/r to be run. So I ran it and rebooted. Well, my USB ports no longer worked, and I did not have a recovery point that I could use. I tried all kinds of options to reinstall the drivers, but with no success.

So I inserted my windows 8.1 pro USB and ran setup. I used the option to keep programs etc. After the reboot, there was my desktop with Classic Shell, and the USB ports are now working again. So my next question: does Windows 7 work the same way? I never had to do this before.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Windows 8.1 Pro Repair

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Win7 had a repair option too, but the one in 8 & 10 is a lot more sophisticated. I'm constantly surprised how robust it can be.

FYI: You might want to run Spinrite on that drive. That's a classic weak sector symptom.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

It's a SSD, so are there any options when running on a SSD? I wish Steve would release the new version. I've been waiting now for 2-3 years.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You can run Level 2 on an SSD and it'll refresh it. NEVER run a level 4 on an SSD. I do it every 6 months on my SSDs or when they seem to be having issues.

The good news he's FINALLY finishing up SQRL and he hopes to be starting on Spinrite 6.1 this month. Since he already has a lot of the code done, and he's sure it will work fine, he intends to release it as a stable beta as soon as possible, then start adding additional features in 6.2, like the ability to auto-detect an SSD and specifically optimize for it.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I guess I should visit his page. Haven't been there for a while.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Not sure he's posted anything about it. I listen to his weekly Security Now podcast.