desktop new file problem

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

desktop new file problem

Post by reno »

when i click using my mouse to open a new file on my desktop . i get the popup screen i scroll down to open new. i click the line (icon) and the thinking circle pops up then the screen reverts to a white screen . i tryed a reboot and restart still this problem im unable to make a new file on my desktop ? any ideas on whats going on. iim running windows 10 with classic shell and just a couple of days ago i did the latest windows update . i also just loaded the brothers printer drivers last night.
:bang
Err
Life Member

Re: desktop new file problem

Post by Err »

Can you open files anywhere else or is this behavior specific to the desktop? I would first try updating classic shell. Windows may have installed an additional updated when you restarted to load your printer drivers that's interfering with classic shell. If all else fails, start msconfig and perform a clean boot. Then start enabling services to see when the problem starts.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

This is almost certainly a misbehaved or corrupt shell extension. Had something similar happen on my main workstation a couple of months ago. Sometimes when I'd right on a file, EXPLORER.EXE would crash.

Shell extensions are what allows a program to add something to the right-click file menu (like when you right-click on a file and your AV added a shell extension to "Scan the file for viruses" or Winzip adds a "Zip this file" option.

Sometimes it's hard to figure out which extension it is. A lot of programs add extensions that you don't need or never use.

The best thing to do is disable all of them and then, then confirm that fixed the problem.

Then only enable the ones you actually need, and check to see if the problem comes back when you turned them on. If so, turn them off one by one until you find the culprit. If it's one you actually need try updating or re-installing the program.

Download ShellExView: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Folllow instructions here: http://www.winhelponline.com/xp/slowrightclick.htm

Make sure to "Hide All Microsoft Extensions" as explained in that article so you don't accidentally disable built-in OS extensions that are required.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Post by reno »

figured out the problem it was a conflict between the Brothers printer and the Epson Workforce scanning software.
I tried keeping the Epson workforce software on my laptop and my new Brothers printer's. I had to totally remove the Epson drivers and software .now what I have to do when I take this laptop back up north . is reverse myself and re-install the Epson drivers and software and remove the Brother . took a bit of digging but figured it all out. the only thing I found it was messing with was my desktop . but then again i didn't have both software and drivers loaded for like 10 hour . until I tried making a new file on my desktop - everything good now. I'm guessing more commands and file were messed up just didn't use to find them.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

No reason you can't have both drivers installed. More likely it's some add on installed by the driver. A lot of these printers install 'web print' plugins form the browser and those can cause problems. See if the driver has a custom install option and only install the basic drivers and nothing else.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.