Firefox Quantum: Developer Edition

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

Firefox Quantum: Developer Edition

Post by Executioner »

Err
Life Member

Re: Firefox Quantum: Developer Edition

Post by Err »

Quantum is now released. I only had two addons. My YouTube Downloader was updated. NoScript isn't yet but they are working on it. I'm using uBlock Origin for now.

It does feel much faster.
Genom
Steely Eyed Missile Man

Post by Genom »

Benchmarked against Chrome. Chrome was almost twice as fast. Not terribly impressed.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I primarily use Firefox and I stay logged out of everything. I have around 5 addons I can't live without.

I keep Chrome open on a 2nd monitor and that stays logged into the Google account I use on my phone so I can access phone contacts, map locations, calendar, and any other Google phone related services on it.

IE I use just for legacy sites, or testing the few websites I still manage, or diagnosing issues clients are having.

Only thing I use Edge on is my Surface Pro 3 and a Dell 2-in-1 tablet. Touch support in Edge is really nice, and now that Edge has a Ublock Origin addon, I have a good ad blocker on it.

Err: I used noscript for a LONG time but finally gave up. There's so much script ing on websites it just too tedious to use. Especially with sites that rotate through multiple randomly generated URLs for scripts.

I wound up using UBlock Origin which is a very advanced ad blocker, and also blocks coin miners and other nasty crap.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

I liked FF a lot, but rolled over to Chrome a while back b/c it seemed a lot faster. Now it is what I'm used to. I have opera installed and use it once in a great while .
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

FlyingPenguin wrote:Err: I used noscript for a LONG time but finally gave up. There's so much script ing on websites it just too tedious to use. Especially with sites that rotate through multiple randomly generated URLs for scripts.

I wound up using UBlock Origin which is a very advanced ad blocker, and also blocks coin miners and other nasty crap.
The only reason I hadn't tried Origin before is because I had NoScript set up the way I wanted it. uBlock Origin is much easier to use and I'll probably stick with it. It's nice being able to whitelist a page and then block elements such as autoplaying videos on HuffPo.
Pugsley

Post by Pugsley »

Why did they take away the book mark menu? Had to google how to get it back.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

So after using the new FF for several weeks, I really don't see any speed increase. I'm using the x64 version. I did make one change in the options menu under privacy and security > Permissions > Prevent accessibility services from accessing your browser (checked the box). I heard that this will improve performance.

http://techdows.com/2017/09/disable-acc ... ox-57.html
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I'm actually now thinking of moving to Chrome full time, or going back to a previous version of FF, or maybe Waterfox. This new version is simply too slow to respond to links, and rendering some addons incompatible.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I notice no major difference in performance either better or worse. Seems the same to me. You might want to try disabling all your addons and see if that's the problem.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

psypher
Golden Member

Post by psypher »

Executioner wrote:I'm actually now thinking of moving to Chrome full time, or going back to a previous version of FF, or maybe Waterfox. This new version is simply too slow to respond to links, and rendering some addons incompatible.
I've been on Firefox forever, but a few months ago I just gave up on it and moved to Chrome full time.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I must say, Quantum on Android is MUCH faster then the old Firefox. I primarily use FF on my phone and there's a big improvement.

But I would have to run some benchmarks to see if it's any faster on my desktop. On the desktop it feels just as fast as the olf FF but maybe that's because I'm using uBlock Origin so I'm not loading a bunch of ad scripts in the background.

Anyone want to recommend a benchmark?

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Yeah on the desktop it sucks. I agree on the phone there is no issue.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I'm on my company's laptop which only has Chrome installed by the IT department. I downloaded the new FF, and it is a bit faster than Chrome, so now I'm wondering with all the previous updates to my FF, maybe a better solution should be to backup my bookmarks, and completely delete FF from the desktop, then perform a fresh install after a reboot. Anyone know if they have a "cleaner" that goes through even into the registry to delete it all?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Don't just delete FF. That doesn't purge your profile (reset Firefox). 9 times out of 10 when FF is slow, it's some addon or something else in your profile. Just nuke your profile and see if that helps:

How to reset Firefox:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1119815