Last chance for free Win10 upgrade. Ends Dec 31st

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Last chance for free Win10 upgrade. Ends Dec 31st

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You can still get free Win10 upgrades until Dec 31st.

Keep in mind that you don't need to upgrade permanently. You can upgrade just to license your mobo for it, and then roll it back within 30 days (Win10 keeps a backup of your old OS in a hidden folder for 30 days, and uninstalling the update rolls it back), or else make an image before upgrading and then restore it.

This locks your mobo into a lifetime Win10 license, and you can upgrade or do a clean install anytime in the future.

If you have a system you're thinking about upgrading someday, then it's a no brainer.

You can either use a valid Win7 key or use the Windows for disabilities option to upgrade. Links in the article below:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft- ... -upgrades/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Last chance for free Win10 upgrade. Ends Dec 31st

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Bonus pro-tip: If possible, try to do an upgrade with a Win7 PRO license instead of Home. Pro gives you the ability to defer Win10 major updates (what used to be called service packs) for up to 18 months. You also get much more control over when to install regular patches.

That's what I do on my gaming PC. That system is currently two builds behind. I don't like the forced updates which can muck things up.

Even if your system is running Win7 Home, you MIGHT be able to enter a Pro license key during the upgrade. Worst case, pop a spare boot drive in there temporarily and install Win7 Pro and then upgrade to Win10 to lock in the Win10 license for your mobo.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "