Microsoft will start updating Intel CPU microcode to fix Spectre

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Microsoft will start updating Intel CPU microcode to fix Spectre

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Microsoft has realized that most people will never update their BIOS in order to get the Spectre Microcode update, so Windows will now do it for you. Yes, both Windows and Linux can install CPU microcode updates via UEFI.

These are the microcode patches Intel is writing for each processor line, it's just that Microsoft is delivering them via an update.

This is a GOOD thing, because not only will most people not bother (or even know how) to install a BIOS update, but some mobo manufacturers are probably not even going to support a mobo that's a few years old and may never get a BIOS update.

Right now the patch is NOT being pushed out automatically - you have to manually download it. Most of us suspect that's because MS wants to be DARN sure there aren't any problems with them. We suspect they will become part of the automatic update eventually.

Intel is starting with their most recent CPUs and likely won't go back more than 3 or 4 generations.

ALSO the patch is only available to people running the latest public build of Windows 10 (Build 1709 Fall’s Creator’s Update). There's indications they will eventually support Win7 for the benefit of Enterprise customers (and one would assume Win8.1 as well).

There is a list of supported CPUs here identified by their CPUID code: https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/u ... idance.pdf

You can find the CPU ID code for your CPU by downloading the very latest version of GRC.com's INSPECTRE utility which Steve Gibson updated last week to display the CPUID code: https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

Article:
https://borncity.com/win/2018/03/12/int ... h-11-2018/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

reno
The artist formerly known as Renovation

Re: Microsoft will start updating Intel CPU microcode to fix Spectre

Post by reno »

wonder how long till they offer AMD support ?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Intel has announced that some older CPUs (more than 5 or 6 years old) can't be patched for Spectre via microcode. They are maintaining a database with all processors supported and not supported, and which processors have a microcode update available.

Steve Gibson has updated his InSpectre app to compare your CPUID to the database and let you know if there is a microcode update available yet: https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Thanks. I knew my old rig would not be updated
System is Meltdown protected: YES
System is Spectre protected: NO!
Microcode Update Available: NO!
Performance: SLOWER
CPUID: 06FB
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

As I've said before, realistically it's not that big a deal for a home user. If ANYTHING nasty gets in your system, irregardless of whether it uses Spectre, you're screwed.

This is a lot more of an issue for data center servers who which might be running multiple virtual servers, and a malicious program running in one VM could see data in another using Spectre.

If there's a microcode patch available it's a no brainer, but if not I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just keep your shields up.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

FlyingPenguin wrote:irregardless
irregardless? LOL

I hate that "word".
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I ran the test on my new rig. Got:

NO
NO
YES
GOOD
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Windows update will take care of meltdown. Since its a new mobo, I'd check forcs BIOS update, which likely will fix Spectre.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

A little disappointed that the mobo wasn't updated by them. Oh well. I'm enjoying the 2 sec boot time. Insane!
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You could download the microcode update from Microsoft, but me personally except for my workstation which dud have a BIOS update, I'm going to wait until MS pushes it out via Windows update.

I really see no reason for a home user to worry much about it. If anything nasty gets into your system you're toast, irregardless of whether it uses Spectre. It's more of a threat to servers running multiple VMs.