Microsoft is putting Windows on the back burner

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

Microsoft is putting Windows on the back burner

Post by Executioner »

So I guess they were correct when they said that Windows 10 will be the last Windows version.
The shakeup includes the formation of two new engineering teams that will prioritize Microsoft's cloud and artificial intelligence products — a move that should make investors happy, said Brad Reback, a software analyst at Stifel.
Morgan Stanley (MS) said recently that Microsoft (MSFT) could hit $1 trillion in market value within a year, thanks in large part to the strengths of Azure, Microsoft's cloud computing service, and the cloud-based Office 365 software suite.

Thursday's announcement "further demonstrates that those are the growth engines going forward," Reback said. And it aligns with Microsoft's long-term priorities.

"Microsoft has actually been moving away from Windows and more towards the cloud, analytics and AI for the past ten years," explained Laura DiDio, an analyst at ITIC. "This did not happen overnight."

So far, the company's investment in the cloud, artificial intelligence and the Internet of Things has paid off. Amy Hood, Microsoft's chief financial officer, said in January that the company's commercial cloud revenue grew 56% year-over-year. In that quarter, Windows commercial products and cloud services sales fell 4%.
So the way I see this is MS is going to have their next OS in the cloud. It's somewhat already stated with the way Office 365 works.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/26/investi ... tml?iid=EL
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Microsoft is putting Windows on the back burner

Post by FlyingPenguin »

They may not spend as much time on it (suits me fine if we don't have a major service pack every 6 months).

Except that you can't put EVERYTHING in the cloud. Accountants, engineers, video editors, sound editors, to name a few, are always going to need a dedicated box with a real OS. There are ALWAYS going to be people who need a dedicated PC, and I can't see Microsoft surrendering to Linux.

It might not be a bad thing for Enterprise and SOME small businesses to go all cloud though, since most enterprises can't seem to manage their security very well. Maybe that's the solution. Do it ALL in the cloud with a bunch of dumb, virus proof boxes at the enterprise, and pay Microsoft (or Google or Amazon or whoever) to manage your data, protect it securely, and back it up reliably.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "