Anyone seeing a lot of "The user profile service failed" issues on Win7?

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Anyone seeing a lot of "The user profile service failed" issues on Win7?

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Between a friend of mine who does IT work and myself, we've had 7 of these last week. All of them were running Windows 7. Very unusual since in 20 years I can only remember 1 or 2 of these - usually caused by a failing hard drive that corrupts the registry.

In all cases we've been able to fix it by restoring a recent backup of the registry.

Having this many all in one week, and right after patch Tuesday, leads me to believe it's a problem with a patch.

Seems like in all cases it only happens after a reboot, and most people don't turn off their PCs for months at a time, so I suspect there will be more of these.

As I said, just restoring the registry files from a backup is all it takes. In case this happens to you, here's instructions for restoring the HVE registry files from the backup Windows makes every time it successfully boots up:

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/window ... vista.html
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Anyone seeing a lot of "The user profile service failed" issues on Win7?

Post by Executioner »

The only issue I noticed with my Win7 rig that I game on, when I install patches and reboot, it takes a very long time for the pc to reboot. Last couple of times, I had to hit the reset switch after it remained stuck at "shutting down..." for over an hour. If I knew that these updates, which you can't really tell what they are doing, I would have turned off auto updates When they made the change from individual updates to "Convenience Roll-up". Maybe it's simply OS decay after all these years.

I haven't come across this error, but thanks for sharing the info.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Anyone seeing a lot of "The user profile service failed" issues on Win7?

Post by FlyingPenguin »

My friend who's an IT tech uses this technique to fix the corrupt user, which involves changing some registry settings from Safe Mode. Me personally, I'd rather restore a known good working registry backup if it's not too old, but it's another option:

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "