Darcy's having a problem with the laptop I bought her

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Darcy's having a problem with the laptop I bought her

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Looks like WIn7 did a video driver update after the Windows Update a couple of weeks ago, and now her screen is blinking ONLY when she's in Windows (doesn't happen at the Dell boot screen so it's almost certainly a bad generic driver update and not a hardware issue).

Walked her through getting into Safe Mode and doing a System Restore back to a point before the update but she's getting an error I've never seen before:

Any ideas? I asked her to try an earlier restore point. IF I can get her back to a stable install without a blinking video I'm going to have her disable the "recommended" Windows updates which USUALLY prevents drivers from being installed, and have her set Windows Update to notify, but not download or install without approval.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

wvjohn

Re: Darcy's having a problem with the laptop I bought her

Post by wvjohn »

assuming there was a restore point, looks like a disk read error finding it. dunno, repair c:, if that dosen't fly, repair install. unless there is some way to rename video driver to something like do not use so that you are limited to boot display type graphics , then replace driver.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

She says nothing important on it so try to guide her through a factory restore.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

wvjohn

Post by wvjohn »

that would probably be the safest bet.