Windows 7 slow to shut down

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

Windows 7 slow to shut down

Post by Executioner »

I normally leave my PC on 24/7 at home unless I'm going on vacation. I've been noticing that when I do shut if off, it can take 3-5 minutes for it to shut off. If I turn it back on and wait a few minutes, then shut it down, it only takes 20 seconds. I googled and tried some of the suggestions but not sure of the event view. I checked the following:

Memory management in the registry for a setting of the page file - ClearPageFile at Shutdown. The value was already 0.

sfc /scannow - no issues reported

I also checked the event log - Performance Operational. I did have critical and warnings for boots and shutdowns, but it did not show what a possible program would cause the slow down. This was using the "friendly name".

Wonder if this is OS decay?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Windows 7 slow to shut down

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Could be bit-rot. Some weak sector on the HDD that the OS writes to on exit and is causing write errors, and thus taking a long time to complete. You can try running Spinrite level 2 on it and see what happens. If it solves the problem then find some time to run a level 4 to fully correct the drive.

In my experience, it's usually something running in the background that just won't cleanly shut down right away, and the OS tries to wait for it.

You running any kind of AV other than security Essentials? Sometimes they can cause problems.

Update your mobo drivers, in case one of them is causing the problem. Could be Windows Update replaced a good driver with a buggy generic one. That's the reason I don't allow Windows to do anything but critical updates.

Having any issues with Windows Updates? A stalled Windows Update service can cause that.

I'd try disabling a few things running in your startups and see if you can find the culprit.

Needless to say, a quick scan with AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes wouldn't hurt either, but I assume you've done that.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I'm using an SSD for the boot drive. I do have ESET installed, but I never had problems with it in the past. I also have Malwarebytes installed and it monitors in the background.
The problem with this mobo is it's old - almost 10 years. I've also run a windows check disk and no issues were found. All my other PC's run ESET and there is no issue with the other ones. As for windows update, MS only comes out with the monthly roll-up which is what I install. I never install any optional updates.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Even an SSD, I'd Spinrite level 2 just to refresh (DO NOT RUN LEVEL 4 on an SSD!).

I've had SSDs with bad memory cells that weren't getting swapped out for some reason.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

OK I'll try SpinRite. I wish Steve would update the program. To run level 2, I need to change the ACHI setting to standard IDE. Have you ever run level 4 on a SSD?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You Sshould never run level 4 on an SSD. It will wear it out.