Copying shared permissions to a new drive

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

Copying shared permissions to a new drive

Post by Executioner »

Received my new 4TB drive yesterday. I was copying files over from old 2TB drive to the new 4TB drive when it occurred to me that shared permissions will not carry over to the new drive with Windows copy/paste command. Does Teracopy work for this?

Also, the drive I decided to get was the WD Blue which is only a 5400 rpm drive. After thinking about it, I decided on this drive since it's used only for file storage, and the 2TB drive is the same make/model which has worked with no issues.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Copying shared permissions to a new drive

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Not TerraCopy, no. This has less to do with the files and more to do with the file system structure.

What I do is just clone the whole drive with Acronis. As far as the OS is concerned it'll be the same drive with a larger partition. All permissions should stay.

That will also be a lot faster than copying individual files.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

LOL - I forgot about Acronis. I always used it for a backup image and forgot that it can also clone a drive.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Acronis did not work for me. It created an EFI partition on the drive, and my system did not recognize it. So I pulled out my old information I had with DOS and XCOPY and XCOPY did the trick. I used the /e/h/k/o/x parameters. I was also surprised how fast it copied the files over to the new drive, including the attributes and ownership settings.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Shouldn't have done that unless it was the boot partition.

But yeah, old school XCOPY. Forgot all about that.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "