All the issues of Windows 10 version 1803 you may run into

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

All the issues of Windows 10 version 1803 you may run into

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Win10 Version 1803 is the new "Spring 2018" update that is being pushed out right now. You may have already gotten it, or be about to get it.

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/05/01/all-t ... -run-into/

Quick reminder: If you have Windows 10 Pro you can put off major updates (what we used to call service packs) for up to two years: https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-1 ... g-upgrade/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: All the issues of Windows 10 version 1803 you may run into

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Don't ever feel you HAVE to do the version updates. As I said above, if you have Win 10 Pro you can defer them for a couple of years.

I've been holding my gaming PC at version 1607 (Nov 2016!) believe it or not, and yes it still gets security updates because 1607 is the still supported in the Long Term Servicing Branch for Businesses (technically even the 1507 RTM is still supported on the long term business branch, but that was a buggy release of Win10). I will keep that PC on 1607 until I have no choice.

I'm staying at version 1709 (previous version before this month's 1803) on my laptop and Surface Pro for at least the next 6 months until the bugs are sorted out. Nothing in the new release I feel is a must-have anyway. I always defer the laptops for 6 months to let everyone else be Guinea pigs first and work the bugs out.

Release version history and service branch chart (or channel as they now call it) if you're curious:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/w ... nformation
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

At work, we just began the move to 10. So I had to turn in my old desktop for a 10 machine. I HATE THE DESKTOP. I was hoping that the IT guys would find a work around to make it look like 7, but they did not and now I'm stuck trying to figure things out. They also made it impossible for me to install any software related to my job function like in 7. With the 7 machine, I had approval from our VP that I could be an admin on my machine. That is all gone now. In order for me to install job related software, it has to be an admin with their admin password.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

At home, I have spare laptop that I switch out the SSD that has Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18.3. With 10, I decided to upgrade it from 1703 to 1803. Every thing went fine until I had to save a Word file. Defender pops up and said Winword.exe has been blocked from modifying My Documents folder. WTF? I had to go into Defender and add each office exe. I guess MS wants you to upgrade to the newer Office? I'm using Office 2007. Probably get the same error using 2003. So once I fixed that, I wanted to play a video using VLC and got the same error. So I reverted back to 1703 for now. What a buggy POS this newer version is. I also had to reinstall my Windows 7 games that were working fine in 1703. After the reboot to 1803, it said they were removed, but I reinstalled them and they seem to work fine.

I don't know - I'm not really sold on 10. There are too may weird issues with it. The forced updates to a newer version I completely dislike. I'm using Pro version of 10.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

It's part of "Controlled Folder Access" which is designed to protect you from Ransomware.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... -now-live/
Use controlled folder access

Controlled folder access in Windows Defender Security Center reviews the apps that can make changes to files in protected folders. Occasionally, an app that is safe to use will be identified as harmful. This happens because Microsoft wants to keep you safe and will sometimes err on the side of caution; however, this might interfere with how you normally use your PC. You can add an app to the list of safe or allowed apps to prevent them from being blocked.

Select Start > Settings .
Choose Update & security > Windows Defender.
Select Open Windows Defender Security Center.
Select Virus & threat protection, and then choose Virus & threat protection settings.
Under Controlled folder access, turn it on or off.

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Since you have Pro, I'd recommend deferring major updates. You can defer it from 6 months to 18 months. Microsoft allows this for enterprise users who can't afford to have an update break things every 6 months. I have most of my Win10 PCs on an 18 month deferral. I keep one on the latest version just to keep familiar with it.

You can also defer the monthly security updates up to 30 days.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-1 ... g-upgrade/

FYI: If you're not sure what version of Win10 you're running, open a CMD prompt window and type: winver
Then ENTER. A window will pop open showing the version number.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I'm back on 1709. I thought it was 1703. Anyway, what a shitty option, especially considering it's a MS application that I was using. It may have been better if it had a popup that said do you want to write to your documents folder. All or nothing is BS. Now comes the big question - can Defender be turned off or replaced with another security type app?

I do have feature updates set at 365 days the maximum allowed. I also have security updates set at 30 days. Where is the option for 18 months?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'm guessing it's not the latest version of Office? I can't imagine Office 2016/365 would be blocked. It probably checks for a signed certificate, but older products might not be on their white list.
can Defender be turned off or replaced with another security type app?
Sure. You can install any AV which will usually automatically disable Defender. You can also use Malwarebytes as a primary AV and disable Defender yourself (although MBAM will also work in conjunction with Defender). If you do disable Defender there is a setting in MBAM that allows it to be registered with the Windows Security Center as the main AV app so that Windows doesn't complain that there's no AV running. I personally have no problem with Defender. Being built-in it generally performs better than most 3rd party AV's, and does a good enough job. I am using MBAM as the only AV on my wife's laptop and it works fine.
Where is the option for 18 months?
It's a bit confusing. Go back to the article here: https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-1 ... g-upgrade/

Option 1 lets you defer major updates for 6 months by changing tthe Servicing Channel to the "Semi-Annual Channel" instead of the "Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted)". This puts you on what used to be called the Business release branch and generally delays major updates 6 months. If you also have Option 2 set to 365 days (12 months) that's 6 + 12 months for a total of 18 months. Microsoft guarantees support for security updates for 18 months when you're on this channel.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Nope. I refuse to use anything newer than Office 2010. For windows 10 installation, I have Office 2007 installed. I'm sure it will be the same issue with Office 2003, another fine version of Office. It would not surprise me one bit if MS was doing this on purpose so you will get pissed off and upgrade to the newest version.

Also, where is the options for 18 months? I only saw 365 days.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Read my previous post again, I think I was editing it when you read it. I explain it in detail.

Yeah, they'll have to pry my copy of Office 2003 from my cold dead hands. I hate the ribbon toolbar. Still does everything I need, and with the 2007 compatibility patch it can read and write the new Office file extensions like .docx and .xlsx. I just make sure it's fully patched and completely disable macros and hyperlink for security.

I actually own a copy of 2010, but I've never used it. If 2003 ever stops working I'll move to that. 2016 is too f'ing slow to load. Major bloatware.

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Looks like I had the settings correct: Semi-Annual Channel + 365 days. Was not sure between the 2 options.

The 1709 version seems to work just fine on this Lenovo Laptop - T510 with i5 CPU with 6gigs of ram.

This site has a long list of issues being reported: https://www.ghacks.net/2018/05/01/all-t ... nt-4381936
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

My laptop is on 1709. My Gaming PC is way back on 1607 which is just about at the end of the 18 month cycle. All I do is game on it and I have no urge to update it at all if I don't have to. When I am forced to update, I will only update it to 1709.

My Surface Pro 3 and an Inspiron 2-in-1 are both on the latest with no major issues, although I did have to disable some crap. But I use those two predominantly as tablets (Edge, the news app, the weather app, and the Kindle app).

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

My gaming rig has 1709 and I'll be deferring for a while. No rush to break things.