Windows 10 is free (sans personalization), and a Win7 or 8 license still activates Win10!

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Windows 10 is free (sans personalization), and a Win7 or 8 license still activates Win10!

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I'm putting together a new gaming PC and even though the Win10 Pro license I ordered hasn't arrived yet, I went ahead and installed Win10 1803 (latest April build) on it figuring it would give me a few days to activate (you can skip entering the key during the initial install).

Funny thing I discovered - and have confirmed now through research: Win10 is free to install (at least the latest 1803 is - not sure when this happened), and will work fine with all features without ever activating it. The only thing you lose is the ability to personalize the desktop (wallpaper, taskbar, etc), and you'll get an Activation nag occasionally on the desktop and in the notifications center.

So if you have some old laptop laying around you want to try Win10 on, but don't want to waste money on a license for it, just throw it on there and don't bother activating. You can also use this to install Win10 in a VM.

SECONDLY, even though the free Win10 upgrade offer is over, you can STILL ACTIVATE (PERMANENTLY!) A CLEAN INSTALL OF WIN10 using a Win 7 or 8 key. It has to be the correct version (eg: Win7 Pro key to activate Win10 Pro). It will license your motherboard so once activated, that mobo will have a Win10 license for life and will automatically activate. I just confirmed this works. I still have some unused Win7 Pro licenses around - mostly from Dell OEMs that came with Windows XP downgrades. I just activated my new gaming PC with one of them, so I guess the new license I bought will go on the shelf for some other project.
Here’s the real secret: You don’t need to provide a product key to install Windows 10. You can download Windows 10 installation media from Microsoft and install it on a PC, in Boot Camp on a Mac, or in a virtual machine without providing a product key. Windows will continue to work normally and you can do practically whatever you want.

Windows 10 will keep nagging you to activate it and won’t allow you to change any of the options under Settings > Personalization, but otherwise work just fine. It’s not something you’d necessarily want to do on your main computer, but it’s a very convenient way to set up a quick virtual machine, test Windows 10 on a PC, or install Windows 10 in Boot Camp. You can even pay to upgrade to a legal, activated version of Windows 10 from within your unactivated Windows 10 system after installing it.
All the Ways You Can Still Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free
https://www.howtogeek.com/272201/all-th ... -for-free/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Windows 10 is free (sans personalization), and a Win7 or 8 license still activates Win10!

Post by Executioner »

Will it still upgrade itself?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Windows 10 is free (sans personalization), and a Win7 or 8 license still activates Win10!

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Yes. Fully functional, even without activation. On my new install, before I activated it, it downloaded updates just fine.

I think this is smart of Microsoft. It's going to be pirated anyway, so at least let people get a non-hacked safe copy from them, and if you don't care about personalization and activation nags, you're good.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

I have a Pro version setup in my Linux Mint laptop using VirtualBox. I did change some things: got rid of Cortana and deleted some tiles by installing them. I went in and delayed the updates. I'll see how it goes. I'm sure after a certain amount of time, it will go back to default.