CCleaner - fury over data collection

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

CCleaner - fury over data collection

Post by Executioner »

Seems like EVERYONE wants to collect some data from users. For CCleaner that I've used before, I really haven't updated my version in a long time. I'm currently using version 5.14.5493. Not sure when it was released, but the file date shows 1/15/2016.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/cc-cleane ... onitoring/
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: CCleaner - fury over data collection

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I would just stick with 5.14. Any updates since then haven't changed much. Just little tweaks for Edge.

When I get home I'll see what version I have. Pretty sure it's no more than 6 months old.

I only use the portable version - I never install it.

I would also recommend you only use it to manage startups, browser plugins, scheduler, etc. There is absolutely no good reason to 'clean' your registry, and a lot of ways that your registry could be corrupted by doing that. There's never been any proof that deleting orphaned registry entries speeds things up.

Honestly, I only use Ccleaner out of habit. There are better apps to manage startups, like Sysinternals Autoruns app, and chrome and Firefox manage their addons fine by themselves.

Only other thing I ever used it for was to uninstall apps in WinXP because XP's uninstaller was so slow and buggy.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

To be honest, I only use it about once or twice a year. I do have the portable version I got from the IT department at work. I use that more than at home, due to the issues with using IE with several internal programs at work. It does a better job of deleting all the temporary files.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

My copy is v5.37.6309 (15 Nov 2017). It's the portable version. Download it here:
https://www.soldcentralfl.com/bob/tools ... 02017).zip

Just execute CCLeaner64.exe for the x64 version or CCLeaner.exe for the 32 bit version.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Thanks for the link to the portable version. I'm going to uninstall the one I have and use this version.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Thanks FP!
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Any update for this utility or is it still good for the latest windows 10 release?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Frankly I don't use it for anything anymore. "Registry cleaning" has always been snake oil. The only thing I really used it for was for the the file cleaner, but Windows has a decent build in Disk Cleanup utility.

I don't need the Startups manager anymore since the one in Windows has been improved.