Windows 8.1 and Classic Shell

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
Executioner
Life Member

Windows 8.1 and Classic Shell

Post by Executioner »

That Asus notebook that I have a battery issue with, is running 8.1 with Classic Shell.

When booted, there is a lot of HD activity, and I"m guessing it has to do with the live tiles that are still there and active. Do you guys disable/uninstall them?
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Windows 8.1 and Classic Shell

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I doubt it has anything to do with the live tiles. If they're not being shown, they're not running. All I do is install Classic Shell or Start8.

Win 8 and 10 do hammer the hard drive a lot. Kind of normal.

Might also be Windows Update. 8 and 10 do a lot of indexing of updates on power up. Usually falls off after a few minutes. You can verify that by temporarily disabling the Windows Update service and see if the drive activity slows down dramatically.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

What Pengo said.

Also, I hate the tiles. I get rid of that.
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

OK thanks. I did go through and uninstall/removed them. I think I kept 3 or 4 of them for shits and giggles, the ones that I felt may be pinging the internet for updates like the weather app.