Yes, Win10 free upgrades still work...

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Yes, Win10 free upgrades still work...

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Just confirmed this. I had to do a fresh install on a client's 5 year old PC that was running Win7 Pro.

This was for a clean install but should work for an upgrade as well.

Just get the latest Win10 image (The April 1803 build).

When it asks you for a key during install, select "I don't have a key" and complete the install (NOTE: I highly recommend you leave the PC disconnected from the network. This bypasses all the social/phone home crap and forces Win10 to set you up as a local user instead of using a Microsoft login. You can plug it back into the network when it boots to the desktop which you WILL have to do to activate it).

Open the System window (open file explorer, right click "This PC" and click "Properties"). At the bottom of the window click "Activate Windows". Select the option to enter a new key. Enter any valid Windows 7 key. In my case I used the Dell key on the sticker that was on the case.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

GuardianAsher
Golden Member

Re: Yes, Win10 free upgrades still work...

Post by GuardianAsher »

You can also put in the Windows 7 key during the prompt where it asks for it during the install. You don't have to tell it you don't have a key. Same build, 1803, on a computer that had never had Windows 10 installed on it. Used the Windows 7 Pro key from the sticker, left it disconnected from the network during the install, and then when Windows was installed, it activated right away, no issues.