Patch Tuesday’s coming; make sure you have Windows Update shut off and stop seeking!

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Patch Tuesday’s coming; make sure you have Windows Update shut off and stop seeking!

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Tips to defer updates on all flavors of Windows:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... eking.html
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Patch Tuesday’s coming; make sure you have Windows Update shut off and stop seeking!

Post by Executioner »

Thanks for the link. I thought this was interesting as I did not remember it was turned off by default:
Blocking Automatic Update on Win7 and 8.1
People tend to forget that Windows 7 originally shipped with an Automatic Update feature that was turned off by default. It was up to the user to manually turn on automatic updating. We’ve come a long way.
I have 7, and I have turned them off after the last 3 months hearing of all the issues with 10. If I was to reinstall 7 for what ever reason, I would use my CD that was pre get 10. I also have a copy of 7 without SP1, and SP1 as a separate update, then turn off updates.

Now on 10. I bought my daughter a Wacom tablet that has 10 pro. I plan to disable as much as I can, including deferring updates.
psypher
Golden Member

Re: Patch Tuesday’s coming; make sure you have Windows Update shut off and stop seeking!

Post by psypher »

Make sure you don't check for updates manually on Windows 10, you may end up getting chosen for preview updates.

https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/watch-out ... indows-10/