Power PDF Standard 3.0 Mini-review (PDF viewer/editor)

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Power PDF Standard 3.0 Mini-review (PDF viewer/editor)

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I've been using a PDF viewer/editor that came bundled with PaperPort 14 called PDF Viewer Plus, from Nuance. It does everything Adobe Acrobat Standard does and more: edit, annotate, OCR, highlight, make fillable forms, password protect, ink stamps, etc.

I've been using it a long time but it's also getting a bit long in the tooth and isn't totally Win 8.1/Win10 friendly, although I've managed to get by.

I decided to look for it's latest stand alone replacement which is Power PDF Standard 3.0. This is basically the same engine as the older PDF Viewer Plus (all the sub-menus are identical) but with a modern ribbon menu and updated compatibility and more features.

Now on Nuance's website it sells for $129 for the digital download version, which I was okay with, but I decided to check Amazon. Amazon also sells the digital download version for $129. BUT they also (direct from Amazon, not a reseller) sell the boxed CD version for $68.

I kid you not - they are both on the same page here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DYB4XRN

Click on the digital version and it's $129. Click on the CD version and it's $68.

If you want to try it out first, there's a free 15 day trial on Nuance's website: https://www.nuance.com/print-capture-an ... trial.html
(BTW: You don't need to give them your email to get the download, it just puts you on a mailing list, so feel free to enter a phony or throw-away email).

I had already downloaded the 15 day free trial a week ago, so when I received the CD today, all I had to do was enter the serial number into my trial version to activate it.

$68 is a steal for this program. If you're looking for an Acrobat replacement, or just a better PDF viewer that also does editing, I can highly recommend it.

There's a decent review here: https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/review/so ... w-3679630/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Power PDF Standard 3.0 Mini-review (PDF viewer/editor)

Post by Executioner »

Yeah I hate Adobe PDF. I've been using that Samtra reader which works fine. I also have a special "Adobe Acrobat" portable version that does not require installation. I only use it maybe once or twice a year when I need to edit a PDF.
Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I have Power PDF (thanks to my old job). Works nicely. I prefer it over Adobe.
normalicy

Post by normalicy »

I've been using the Adobe version and can attest to the fact that it plays havoc with other programs in odd ways. I just can't seem to find an alternative editor that I like though.