Fix for Win10 preventing you from dragging a window to a second monitor

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Fix for Win10 preventing you from dragging a window to a second monitor

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I run dual monitors on my gaming rig (small 15" secondary just for Steam Friends and Teamspeak). Steam sometimes moves the Friends window back to the main display and I was getting frustrated because sometimes Win10 seems to stop you from dragging a window to the second display.

This is part of the "snap" feature. I elected to turn it off entirely because I don't want it or need it.
The block is caused by the Windows 10 Aero Snap feature. It if you drag a window slowly, it will think you want to snap to the side/top border. You have 3 options that i know of:

1) Disable snapping in Display Settings / Multi-tasking. This disables ALL snapping, including the Windows 7 style snap-to-top-of-screen which you are probably use to. I tried this but I miss snapping to the top of the screen too much.

2) Move the mouse fast. This is your main option that actually works but is as annoying as hell, coz you'll often have to try again a couple of times when you forget to move the mouse fast.

3) Don't drag. use the WINDOWS ARROW key combination to snap windows around, or WINDOWS SHIFT ARROW to move between monitors.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "