Windows 10, version 1809 and later: Change in default removal policy for external storage media

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Windows 10, version 1809 and later: Change in default removal policy for external storage media

Post by FlyingPenguin »

This is interesting. I've always gone out of my way to do a proper eject because I've corrupted some flash drives when I haven't.
You can use the storage device policy setting to change the manner in which Windows manages storage devices to better meet your needs. The policy settings have the following effects:

- Quick removal. This policy manages storage operations in a manner that keeps the device ready to remove at any time. You can remove the device without using the Safely Remove Hardware process. However, to do this, Windows cannot cache disk write operations. This may degrade system performance.
- Better performance. This policy manages storage operations in a manner that improves system performance. When this policy is in effect, Windows can cache write operations to the external device. However, you must use the Safely Remove Hardware process to remove the external drive. The Safely Remove Hardware process protects the integrity of data on the device by making sure that all cached operations finish.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... rnal-media
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Re: Windows 10, version 1809 and later: Change in default removal policy for external storage media

Post by Losbot »

I'll still prob always eject, since you never know if someone changed the policy. Besides, it's habit for me now.