New Security Warning Issued For Google's 1.5 Billion Gmail And Calendar Users

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

New Security Warning Issued For Google's 1.5 Billion Gmail And Calendar Users

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Short story: It's a sophisticated phishing scam. Someone can send you an email to your Gmail account with a Calendar invitation attached. If you have "auto add invites" turned on then you would get a calendar invite added with a malicious link in it. It's targeted at Android phones, but it's a function of your Google account and works that way by design.

Best to turn this off if you don't need it. You need to disable it in the Gmail web control panel so go to Gmail.com, login in, then click on the Gear icon then Settings > Event Setting > Automatically add invitations = no.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinde ... 835518565e
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

b-man1

Re: New Security Warning Issued For Google's 1.5 Billion Gmail And Calendar Users

Post by b-man1 »

Thanks for the heads up. One correction, you need to sign in to your Google Calendar, then Settings > Event Settings. I was looking for it in Gmail, but it wasn't there. :)
psypher
Golden Member

Re: New Security Warning Issued For Google's 1.5 Billion Gmail And Calendar Users

Post by psypher »

I had to go through Calendar, I didn't see any Event Settings from gmail.com settings.

calendar.google.com -> Settings -> Event Settings -> Automatically add events from Gmail to my calendar (it's under Events from Gmail)