Windows 10 users fume: Microsoft, where's our 'local account' option gone?

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Windows 10 users fume: Microsoft, where's our 'local account' option gone?

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I think this is more of an issue with the Home version. There is no doubt in my mind that Microsoft is subtly pushing non-techies into defaulting with a Microsoft Account login for Win10.

I recently installed Win10 Pro 1903, and yeah, they changed the terminology of a local account option to "domain login" or some such, but anyone who's a techie will figure that out. And as pointed out in the article, installing Win10 without an Internet connection defaults to a local account and a lot of the phone home crap being disabled. Me, personally, I prefer installing Win10 with an internet connection in case there's some driver I need that will prevent it from booting the first time. I always choose a local account and I disable all the social/phone home crap myself.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-1 ... tion-gone/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Windows 10 users fume: Microsoft, where's our 'local account' option gone?

Post by Executioner »

Another reason not to use the Home version. Maybe MS is concerned that they don't have enough folks as a percentage using an account. I have no need for a MS account, but I can see their logic as most are not that savvy about making backups etc.