Sadly I feel Malwarebytes has become bloatware

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Sadly I feel Malwarebytes has become bloatware

Post by FlyingPenguin »

I upgraded to the 4.x version from 3.x today. I just use the free version, but they gave me a 14 day trial of the Premium.

Suddenly, my Internet was lagging big time. Like it took several seconds just to bring up this site. Tried some other sites and they all had long load times. I don't know if this is because I am using a custom DNS (OpenDNS) and not the default DNS configuration. Moreover I could no longer connect to my file server via Remote Desktop on the local LAN, although I could see it's file shares.

When the hell did Malwarebytes start doing firewall functions?

I disabled the Premium trial and switched it back to the free version which should have turned off all the network and web detection stuff, but the problems persisted. I tried shutting down Malwarebytes from the taskbar icon since it was not longer running Premium and it wouldn't shut down.

Ended up uninstalling it and everything is fine now.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

psypher
Golden Member

Re: Sadly I feel Malwarebytes has become bloatware

Post by psypher »

Odd. I have like 7 devices running premium 4.1.0 (all Windows 10) without any issues. The one I use the most, main desktop is running Windows 1909. I think there's something else that might be conflicting. Are you running anything else? Or just Windows Defender + Malwarebytes ?
Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Wow. I have it also installed on 5 systems including a win7 machine with no issues, running premium, and I'm using the open DNS on 2 of the machines.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Just Defender + MBam.

Hmm. Maybe the upgrade went wrong. I'll try reinstalling it clean.
Christians warn us about the anti-christ for 2,000 years, and when he shows up, they buy a bible from him.

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

I bought 2 licenses a while back and can't find the stupid things. I've been running the free version until I can figure out where TF I placed those. LOL
Regardless, the free version has been fine on mine. 4.1.x
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Well I re-installed it clean, and it's fine now, so it must have been a bad install.