Windows 10 KB4556799 update is causing audio issues and data loss for some users

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Windows 10 KB4556799 update is causing audio issues and data loss for some users

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Sigh.

You know, because of all these f'd up updates lately, I haven't let my workstation or gaming PC do an update since January, and they're both still running 1809.

I have them both locked down as limited users with an admin password required for any changes or installs so I feel I'm safe, but it's ridiculous that MS can't get it's shit together with updates.

https://mspoweruser.com/windows-10-kb45 ... data-loss/
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: Windows 10 KB4556799 update is causing audio issues and data loss for some users

Post by Executioner »

Wonder is there is some way to permanently stop updates with 10. I heard even if you disable using GP, they still come through.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Windows 10 KB4556799 update is causing audio issues and data loss for some users

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Wonder is there is some way to permanently stop updates with 10. I heard even if you disable using GP, they still come through.
Yes there is. And no, they do not come through if disabled via GP (with the possible exception of a bi-annual OS "feature" upgrade - it's very possible that upgrading to the latest version of Win10 will reset certain settings, which is why I only do it every couple of years and I have a check list I go through to make sure things are set the way I want them afterwards.

As I've mentioned many times it's easy with WIn 10 Pro. I have my updates set to manual via Group Policy. They won't install unless I allow it. Same for bi-annual OS feature upgrades, which is why I'm still on 1803 (which, yes, still receives updates despite being officially end of life, because Microsoft still pushes out updates for old versions of Win10 for corporate users. Although, all 1803 gets nowadays are security updates (which is fine when they work) and sooner or later they'll totally end support - I think it's 3 years.

Now, as I've also said many times, it's NOT a good idea to defer updates for long periods UNLESS you also make yourself a limited user instead of an admin. Just make an admin user, and from within that user make your everyday user a standard (non-admin) user, and setup the admin account with a password (otherwise there's nothing to stop you or someone else from just hitting OK at the UAC prompt). I also highly suggest you use A STRONG ENOUGH PASSWORD FOR THE ADMIN THAT YOU CAN'T MEMORIZE IT AND MUST LOOK IT UP. That way when UAC pops up asking for the admin password, you will hopefully pause and think, while looking for that password, and ask yourself WHY is something asking for admin permission, and should you give it. My rule: if I don't understand why I'm being asked for the admin password, I say no until I figure it out. Worst case some driver or app needed to install an update and you can do it yourself later.

No need for a password for your limited user if you prefer not to have one, but you do want one for the admin. This is the way Apple OS and Linux have always worked, and it's just stupid that Windows still makes any user a full admin by default.

While you can't disable updates completely (short of killing the Windows Update service maybe) you can set them to manual. What I do is play catch up every few months, image my boot drive (well, my workstation auto-images once a week), do the update, and if things go south I restore the image. Keep in mind for most people these updates aren't a problem, and they usually work fine a few months later when the bugs are worked out. The problem is that MS doesn't test them on a variety of hardware in house anymore. They rely on Windows Insiders (volunteer beta testers) but most of them run them on VMs so there's not much variety there either to find compatibility issues.

To set updates on manual:
- Run Group Policy Editor (run as admin) -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> Configure Automatic Updates = Enabled and then select option 2 in the drop down box called "Notify for download and notify for install". This will remind you that updates are available, but they will not be downloaded or installed unless you go to the Windows Update settings and click the "DOWNLOAD" button (BE AWARE: Clicking the Download button will download AND install).

To prevent Windows from auto-installing driver updates (this can be very problematic so I prefer to update drivers myself):
- Run Group Policy Editor (run as admin) ->Computer Configuration -> Admin Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> Do not include drivers with Windows Updates = Enabled

Here's the list of updates pending on my workstation right now. As you can see I have February and March updates pending. This is another nice reason to wait a few months to update: Windows will only stack up a couple of months of updates at a time because (USUALLY) more recent updates have prerequisites. So the reason there's nothing on my pending list for April or May is probably because it can't offer them until the Feb & March updates are installed first.

Now that I know the bugs have been worked out for Feb & March by now, I'll probably go ahead and install them soon, and then stall another 3 or 4 months.

On my gaming system I'm even farther behind, but that PC is ONLY for gaming, and it's not even turned on unless I'm gaming. It's also locked down so as far as I'm concerned, updates aren't as important as my main workstation which I'm browsing the Internet on all day.

As you can see it's also, finally, despite my 2 year deferral, pushing out 1809 in the updates so, honestly, the other reason I'm stalling is because it really makes no sense to allow the 1809 update. I know 1909 is stable (I have it running on my laptop and Surface Pro), so what I'll probably do is bite the bullet and upgrade to 1909 manually soon.

I may leave the gaming PC on 1803. Feature updates have a way of changing gaming performance. There IS a way to prevent feature updates from being offered through Windows Updates, other than the deferral. There's a registry hack that will block them. I've never used it but let me see if I can find it.

"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Losbot
Almighty Member

Post by Losbot »

Thanks Pengo!
------------------------------------------

FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Here's the registry hack to permanently disable Feature upgrades (the every 6 month version upgrades) instead of just deferring them in the Windows Update settings:

https://www.askvg.com/how-to-prevent-or ... indows-10/

Executioner
Life Member

Post by Executioner »

Great info thanks. I heard 2004 is almost ready, and I have mine set for 365 days so I won't be getting that version, but I will download it after a few months to keep along with the other versions.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Post by FlyingPenguin »

That reg hack didn't work on my gaming system right away BUT Windows update also told me it last checked for updates two days ago, and there's no way to manually refresh when you're setup for manual. So I'll check it in a few days to see if it's refreshed the list and whether 1809 disappears when it does.

darcy

Post by darcy »

Geez Louise, it's always something!!
Briquette, 1992 - 2008 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

Lily, 1995 - 2009 ~ < Forever In Our Hearts >

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.
They must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller.