Windows 10 printing breaks due to Microsoft June 2020 updates

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: Windows 10 printing breaks due to Microsoft June 2020 updates

Post by FlyingPenguin »

You can disable both spectre and meltdown mitigation. That won't hurt stability.

One of the reasons I avoid 'performance' RAM like Gskill is because it generally requires you to override the default timing profile to make it run stable. I bought some GSkill several years ago because it was on the manufacturer's recommended list, and had a lot of issues. The default timing was unstable, the mobo manufacturer sent me some recommended timing and that helped, but I still had problems. Tried timing suggestions on various hardware forums from users with the same mobo and nothing helped. Memtest86 run for days never detected an issue. RMA'd the RAM and same thing. Only thing that helped was pulling one stick (either) which forced it to run in single channel, but that hurt performance.

This began to feel like the old days when we used to play Russian roulette with IRQ jumper settings. I finally gave up and ordered some stock Crucial RAM and the system was perfectly stable after that. It seems that certain combinations of hardware just isn't happy unless you find the magic timing setting.

I gave that Gskill ram to someone and it worked fine on their system. I've seen issues like that on lot's of systems. Clients that were talked into performance Ram in custom builds from local computer shops, when they really didn't need it, and had stability issues fixed when I installed stock Crucial RAM.

Since then I have never put anything in a rig except stock Crucial (not their Ballistix performane Ram), looked up on the manufacturer's database online as the recommended match for my mobo. Never had a problem since. I always buy the fastest recommended stock Ram they recommend.

With Ram fairly cheap it might be worth ordering some Crucial and give it a shot. Or try running the Gskill in single channel. I'd say if it's stable in single channel you can be pretty sure it's a Ram timing issue.

Hope this helps.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

I bought the GSkill for much the same reasons you did. It was the only 2 x 16GB RAM Microcenter had in stock that was on MSI's compatibility list. Unfortunately, Crucial doesn't have my motherboard listed. I ran their scanner just to see what came up. According to my MB manual (MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon), 2400 and 2666 are the last speeds before the "OC" is placed on the memory speed.

I'll try the RAM when I get a chance to order it. I plan to take your recommendation and use Crucial DDR4 2666.

https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/ct2 ... ct13396407

I got away from Crucial a few years back because I unfortunately tried their Ballistx RAM. This was the same build where I had to manually put in the timing for the Patriot RAM the Ballistx replaced. It eventually gave me issues too. I have Corsair Vengeance in my Sandy Bridge Build and never had an issue.

I just wish I could reproduce the conditions for the BSOD to occur. As I've said before, I never have issues when I'm actively working on something or playing a game.
Err
Life Member

Post by Err »

A bit of an update: In another thread I mentioned that a network management utility I installed from MSI may have been causing issues. It called cFOSSpeed and I uninstalled it several months ago when I thought it was causing my issues. I happened to check my installed programs it was was back with the install date of 6/18/20. I don't know how it got back on my system. I took it off again.

Update: I did a bit of research and found that MSI Dragon Center automatically reinstalls it every time you open the app. I only installed it in the first place to control the lighting on the board. Now that I have it set, I don't plan on changing it. Hopefully it saves so I never need Dragon Center.