GRC: InitDisk Utility nukes and recovers flash drives

Discussions of applications and operating systems and any problems, tips or suggestions. Win XP, 9x/2k, Linux, NT, photo editing, Virus/Spyware help
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

GRC: InitDisk Utility nukes and recovers flash drives

Post by FlyingPenguin »

Haven't tried it yet, but people report that flash drives they've specially configured as bootable recovery drives that couldn't be re-formatted afterwards have been restored to normal using this.

I've run across a couple of flash drives that after I installed a bootable utility on them, I couldn't restore back to a normal flash drive, and I've just tossed them in the past. Next time I'll try this.

https://www.grc.com/initdisk.htm
InitDisk's technology was developed for GRC's next release of SpinRite. SpinRite needed a new, foolproof, hyper-robust USB drive formatter which could quickly, painlessly and safely reformat any USB memory device and make it bootable.

InitDisk is a simple-to-use Windows command line “console” utility that can also be run by right-clicking its icon and selecting “Run as administrator”. It will prompt its user to insert the USB device they wish to reformat, will display confirming information about the device, then await clear permission to proceed. If permission is given, the USB device will receive a fresh FAT format.

For maximum compatibility, InitDisk formats with an MBR and FAT (12/16/32) partition. Its maximum drive size is 2.2 terabytes.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "

Executioner
Life Member

Re: GRC: InitDisk Utility nukes and recovers flash drives

Post by Executioner »

Thanks. I wish he would finish with the new version of Spinrite. It's been years since he as discussed it.
FlyingPenguin
Flightless Bird

Re: GRC: InitDisk Utility nukes and recovers flash drives

Post by FlyingPenguin »

He's deeply into it now. I just joined his newsgroups so I can follow along and try some of the beta versions.
"Turns out I’m 'woke.' All along, I thought I was just compassionate, kind, and good at history. "